Maui and Kauai in 9 Days Too Much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Hawaii in September. In order to use miles, we have to fly in and out of Kona. Because the flight in doesn't arrive until 6:30, we have to stay one night in Kona, leaving us 9 days (2 with inter-island travel to and from Kona).

We're planning to visit Kauai and Maui, but I'm getting worried that it's going to become really hectic doing both in that time period. Also, we want to divide our time between 2 places on each island (Wailea and Huelo in Maui and the north and south shores in Kauai) and I'm beginning to think we're going to spend our entire time traveling!

Can anyone who's been provide advice? Should we just pick one island and stick with it? We are looking for natural beauty, secluded, not too touristy, with lots of hiking, snorkeling, etc. and good restaurants. We're considering the Fairmont Kealani and Huelo Point Flower Farm in Maui, and the Hyatt Kauai and Hanalei Bay Resort in Kauai.

Advice welcome and appreciated!
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:55 PM

That is a lot of time travelling. With your 9 days I would either:

a) Split your time between Maui and Kauai, but don't stay at two different places on each island
b) Just go to one island, splitting your time between two different parts of the island if you so choose

And if this helps, your description of what you're looking for (natural beauty, secluded, not too touristy, with lots of hiking, snorkeling, etc. and good restaurants) IS Kauai.
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:22 PM

I agree with Doug stay in only one hotel each island, both are for the most part an easy 30-45 minute drive to most areas you will visit. I would give a little more time to Kauai say 5 kauai and 4 maui, kauai is best for hiking and laid back beauty, Maui is best for activities and it to is very beautifull and can be laid back depending on hotel you stay at. nick
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:29 PM

Yes - too much for 9 days. Limit your moves to 2. Why not spend a few days on the BI before moving on to either Maui or Kauai? The BI offers the things you say you are interested in and saves you the hassle of one of the inter-island flights. Since Maui and Kauai are both small there is no reason to split your stays between parts of the island - it isn't a long drive from one place to another.

I think either Maui or Kauai would make a good contrast with the BI. Kauai is the oldest Hawaiian island and thus geographically different from the BI that is still growing and has lots of lava. Maui is a bit more populated and has a lot to offer also.
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:39 AM

I agree with Scigirl, you should spend a couple of days on the Big Island as it has unique things to offer which you can do in a few days and spend more time either on Maui or Kauai. On the Big Island I recommend checking out Volcanoes National Park and visiting the active lava flow at the end of Chain of Crater's road. Also consider a morning (or afternoon) snorkeling trip aboard the Fairwinds II out of Keahou (near Kona). The Kohala coast is more private, and has protected sandy beaches and some pricey resorts, our best deal was at Outrigger Waikoloa Beach Marriot ~$200/nite Ocean front. Next door Hilton Waikoloa (Hawaii's disneyworld-$300/nite) also worth a visit, for dinner for example. Hilo is the city closest to the Volcano, but I did not find it as appealing as Kona or the Kohala coast.
It's tough to choose between Maui and Kauai. If you like activities Maui has more to offer, however since it is your honeymoon you may revel in the relative seclusion one can find in Kauai. I spent my honeymoon at the Hanalei Bay Resort, and consider it a good value in a great location, although it is not the best resort that can be found on Kauai. The Hyatt is located in south Kauai, near Poipu Beach and this is a good beach area, but I liked the scenery and range of activities better at Hanalei Bay Resort. We found that the condo units are much better than the hotel rooms at HBR. Suggested Kauai activities:
1. Kee Beach snorkeling, on a calm day.
2. NaPali coast trail (for rugged hikers, or do helicopter or boat/snorkeling tour) entrance at Kee Beach, where the road ends, north shore.
3. Waimea canyon (Hawaii's Grand Canyon)
If you should instead decide to stay on Maui, you can later enjoy a trip to Kauai on your anniversary. Good luck!
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:12 PM

My husband and I just got back from 9 days in Maui. We stayed at the Hyatt all nine nights and I could've stayed longer and not been bored. We wanted some down time between activities and we didn't like the idea of spending $500.00 per night and wasting it on travel. We weren't sorry. It sounds like you want less stress and I think you'll get that with less travel. Besides, it would give you a reason to go back and do the other islands later. Just my thoughts.
Old May 8th, 2003, 05:54 AM

We also spent 9 days between Maui and Kauai. We stayed at the Kea Lani in Maui. It was the most breathtaking hotel I have ever seen. The service was beyond anything I have ever experienced. Believe me, you will not be disappointed! The Luau in Old Lahaina is fantastic. Must do the Catamaran snorkeling to Lanai, there are no words to describe...In Kauai must do the helicopter tour, absolutely breathtaking! So impressed with Kauai, we purchased a timeshare there. Will be back again this Aug.I can go on forever...Hawaii is the ultimate. Enjoy!