16 days in Houston with a toddler

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 days in Houston with a toddler

Hi there. Everyone was so helpful on our trip to Charlotte, I wanted to check with the locals for things to do in Houston. We'll be there for 16 days, and my DS is 2yrs old. I'm looking for day-to-day stuff: which parks are shaded, what bookstores have train tables that let you play for awhile, etc. as well as the tourist-y things, too. We're staying near the Galleria, if that helps.
Thanks in advance for any tips you have.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Wow! That is along time to keep a toddler busy in a hotel room. I live in Houston and there are some great things to do. The Houston Childrens Museum is fantastic and so is the zoo and surrounding parks. The Galleria is fun to just stoll through,watch the skaters,play in the stores,and get a treat. When is your trip? That will help me to come up with some more ideas closer to what you asked for.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 06:18 PM
cm

I have a toddler. That's a long time for you guys! Would you want to do a day trip to Galveston or San Antonio (three hrs.) or to Chappell Hill/Brenham --Blue Bell ice cream tour? Sorry I don't know Houston better.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 06:22 PM

There are several park areas just south of the Galleria (walking distance), including the Williams Water Wall and just south of that several lakes in a corporate park setting. In the Galleria itself there is a Build-A-Bear popular with children. Other nearby parks include Pumpkin park, located a mile or so east on Westheimer in River Oaks with play equipment and swings.

A Barnes and noble is located just across Westheimer form the Galleria, and a new Borders is slated to open in the Galleria itself, although I don't know the date.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

I should say that we're staying in one of those extended-stay places... so it's like a one-bedroom apartment. But still, minimal toys and such to bring from home.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

oh, heh,heh. Forgot to tell you the dates of our trip. We leave Nov 3rd and come home Nov 20th.
Thanks
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

These are great! Please keep coming with them as you think of them...I'll keep checking in. Thank you!!!
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Drive out to Galveston and see the ocean if your child hasn't had that experience. Miles of sand, shells, waves...
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 03:43 PM

If you go to Galveston, I would recommend Moody Gardens.

http://www.moodygardens.com/
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 04:47 PM

There is an awesome butterfly house in the downtown museum. I didn't have kids when I lived in H-town, but I do remember taking my friends 2 year old there and she loved it!! The butterflies land on your clothes, so cool. And there is also a great zoo near the museum area....you will have great weather in Nov. to walk around as well.

The Kemah boardwalk is also a great spot, ferris wheels and other kiddie attractions. Tons of parks too--it is a great city for kid things to do. You won't run out of options, that is for sure. I am sure your hotel will have suggestions as well, and the Galleria area is pretty central. Of course the Galleria will be a fun stop too. Have fun.