104 degrees in northern Minnesota?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It hasn't been this hot here in fourty or fifty years. I used to live in Texas where it was common but was in for a total shock when I went outside today. Holy Cow!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM
P_M

jorr, you're kidding me?? As you know, I live in Austin TX and today's high is 98. Hard to believe it's hotter in northern MN than TX!! I have been told that a lot of people up there do not have A/C, so if that's the case for you, then you have my sympathy. Please try to stay cool.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Yep I live 20 miles north of Minneapolis and they just announced that at the airport it is 101. Our temperature reads 104. No way do I go outside in this heat. And no relief. In the high 90's all next week. We have had no rain. It rained last night about 40 miles from here, even some trees down. But all we got was alittle lightning.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:48 PM

jorr, do you have a/c? We have friends in Minn that do not. I tried to reach them on the phone, but no answer. They are probably at the mall or somewhere there's a/c. It's bad enough being that hot, but even with a/c it never really cools off, and lordy, the electric bills at the end of the month!

Hope it cools off soon!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Sounds like its time to come back to Texas!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 03:10 PM

I live in southern MN and just got home. My DH and daughters are out of town, so a friend and I took a gin & tonic and SAT in a nearby creek. The good thing about MN is you can always find water to cool off in!!!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:27 PM

I just saw that it is 112 degrees RIGHT NOW (730 p.m. central) in Pierre, SD. Glad I'm in Tennessee!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Good grief, is this the result of Global Warming jorr? We are having about 101 degrees today and tomorrow and than Monday and Tuesday it is suppose to be 106 degrees. We do have good a/c around here. But usually these high temps don't happen until the middle of August I think. I cringe for the people that have to work outside during this horrible heatwave. And we could have three more months of it, at least here in the Sacramento Valley. Holy Cow is right!!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Fortunetly I do have air conditioning and I let my dog in to take a nap all afternoon. I watched the local news this evening and it was 114 in central North Dakota. I have no doubt that many cattle and other farm animals have died. I haven't heard of any people who have died but I think there may be some unfortunate souls who could not take it and died. People in this area are prepared for thirty below zero but
not 100+.

It could be a trend in global warming but I don't know for sure. Too many pros and cons about it. I think it is a definate possiblity.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Jorr, very sorry to hear about your cattle and farm animals. That is horrible. I hope they have somehow made it and things work out for you.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 09:44 PM

We talked to friends in NE MN today (on Lake Superior) and they said it was close to 100 degrees and most everyone they know does not have a/c. They also said there is a big fire in the BWCA above Grand Marais and they can see the smoke from where they live. Seems to be hot in most areas of the country right now - it sure is here in S. CA. It is getting old!!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:40 AM

We are going to Denver, we thought to escape S Fla heat and humidity. Here it is just going to 89*. Today in Denver it is supposed to be 102*! At least it is a DRY heat ;-). But so is an oven
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Tess

It's 4:30 p.m. in western Nebraska right now and 106 degrees. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. This is ridiculous! It feels like a blast furnace if you step outside so everyone's staying indoors. I truly truly hate this kind of weather (it makes me whiiiiny)--give me 10 below temps any day...

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:29 PM

If it's cooler at the airport, then you should move there ;-)
Bad thing about 95 here (KY) is that the humidity is equally high. Bleah, let's have a cold front dance....
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Oh my word! That is hot and it must be humid as well. Ugh. Hope everyone is taking special care of the elderly and anyone who's a "shut in". And pets too.
Are big t-storms expected at some point?
By the way, it's hot here in the UK, too. About 90 to 93 degrees (which doesn't sound so bad, but remember, almost nothing here is air conditioned and we all live in small brick ovens, err, houses). The temperature in London's city buses and the Tube (subway) will be about 105 degrees tomorrow and the next day.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

BTilke, I worked a summer job in London in the early 80's. It got up to 90 one day and made all the headlines in the newspapers. Britain is surrounded by water which keeps the temps more average I think.

Tess, 10-4 about the blast furnace. On Saturday I stood in a strong wind in the shade and experienced the same sensation. I could not believe it.

SpeedBuggy, I do not have farm animals but many people in my area do. Thanks anyway for your concern.

Cali, I saw a TV report about that exact fire in N.E. Minnesota. It has burned hundreds of heavily forrested acres.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Jorr, it will be 90+ here for the next several days and on Wednesday, the London high may very well exceed 95 degrees. Temps on Wed. in the Tube and buses (neither of which are air conditioned or offer much in the way of ventilation) may be 110 degrees--or higher, which will mean major slowdowns in services. Tube and bus riders are being advised to always carry a bottle of water with them. During another hot spell about two weeks ago, a subway got stuck for two hours and with temps above 100 and no ventilation, several people had to be treated for heat exhaustion. English summers just aren't what they used to be!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 09:55 AM

"dry" heat in Denver? Don't kid yourself.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Tess

The one positive in this crapola heat fest is that it IS a dry heat where I live. I truly can't take humidity anymore. It is lovely for the skin, though

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:31 AM
JJ5

We had a worse spell in Chicago mid-nineties ('95, I believe) when dozens died in that "elderly" or shut in category. It was 90-100 for about 7 or 8 consecutive days.

My Dad is 87, no a.c. in mid-city concrete, and he will not budge. So I was THERE all weekend making him drink water, which he can't very quickly because of a stroke. If my siblings did not prevent it, I would get the legal paperwork, and take his choices away. But they believe it is just dandy for him to make all of his own choices even though he is clearly altered.

I hate hot weather. I don't know how people in the Southern USA stand it. I hate to live in a.c. as well.

Only a couple of days more and I'll be off to MI, the lake, and Detroit too for a day. I'm be sunscreened to death and prone upon my rubber dingy 48 hours from now, if this weather holds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -