Search

10 Days trip plan in California

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 Days trip plan in California

Hi,

Me and my partner are planning to visit California from Philadelphia for 10 days. We will fly to San Francisco from Philly and return from LA. We want to do the road trip from San Francisco - Monterey to Los Angeles. We are open to the number of days staying at each place. Need your suggestion to plan the trip.

1. We want to include a national park. We were thinking of Yosemite as the drive is 4hrs. Where can we stay (budgeted) there? If not Yosemite any other park??

2. Which all places we can stop by or spend a day during road trip. Any suggestions for places to stay is appreciated.
OR
Instead of SFO to LA we can drive San Francisco - Monterey, SFO to Yosemite-Death Valley- Vegas
Thanks in advance
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 02:39 PM

When are you coming? This is significant because it will matter for your Yosemite days if you are able to find lodging or not.

With only 10 days, I would stick to SF, Carmel and Los Angeles. Another option would be S, Monterey and Yosemite, flying home from Fresno ( FAT) rather than LAX.

Three nights in each spot would be perfect!
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 06:03 PM

What month?
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 07:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"We want to do the road trip from San Francisco - Monterey to Los Angeles."

If that means Highway 1 to Los Angeles, it's not likely the entire stretch will be open until some time in 2018. Currently, it's closed from approximately Big Sur to Ragged Point in San Luis Obispo County.

The detour on Highway 101 is moderately scenic in spots, in an out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere way, but doesn't get interesting IMO until just north of Paso Robles. If your trip is in July or August, it gets pretty hot in this valley.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/lo...153508569.html

If you haven't purchased the tickets out of Los Angeles, I'd reconsider this trip and fly in and out of San Francisco. SF, Monterey/Carmel, Yosemite in 10 days would be a nice trip.
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are planning to traveling the first week of July.
After reading your replies we are thinking travel SF- Carmel-Yosemite.
Is it feasible to include Vegas? If not driving is there any alternative to go to Vegas.
Can you please suggest accommodation option for Yosemite.
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 03:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Vegas? No. The drive from Yosemite would take 8.5-9 hours. Didn't you say you have just 10 days?

Anyway, July is the hottest month of the year for Vegas and the drive to get there.

If you gave up Yosemite, you could fly from Monterey to Vegas on Allegiant Air. But check if their service dates work with your itinerary. I think they only fly this route twice a week.
Old Jun 4th, 2017, 08:03 AM

Do you mean this year over the holiday? Many hotels in Carmel and Monterey will have three night minimums and Yosemite books up a year in advance. I would check to see if you can find lodging that suites your purpose, if not, you may want to put this trip off until later.

Have you read about the traffic in Yosemite this year? This is a consideration for drive times and lodging... many people are visitng and a holiday weekend will be crazy.