10 day trip Den to N.Mex

Search

10 day trip Den to N.Mex

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 day trip Den to N.Mex

I'm travelling with 2 teenagers one a train fanatic that wants to ride the Durango and Silverton. Staring in Denver to visit nephew and will end in ABQ. Any ideas without over dosing on the trains out there. National parks are great, would love to come home somewhat rested too.

TIA,
Maria
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM

What time of year?

You could swing north and visit Rocky Mountain National Park, or head southwest toward Moab (Arches and Canyonlands National Parks), then over to Mesa Verde National Park and on to Durango.

Lee Ann
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Agree with Elendilpickle, also, be sure to Go to Bandelier NP, just a bit west of Santa Fe and be sure to visit the seperate part of the park called Tsankwai for a hike to an unexcavated ruin that takes you through grooves in the rock cut by people walking for years.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 04:23 PM

Use the drop down menu above and find posts on NM. Lots of info already on here. What do you want to do??
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 06:59 PM

Ride the Durango train but The Zipline with it. The only way to get to the zipline is via the train or helicopter. Very cool and awesome, especially with teens. My wife was scared, but after the first zip she loved it.

http://www.soaringtreetopadventures.com/

We really enjoyed Mesa Verde.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 07:04 PM

Photos of our trip including some of the train

http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/...4?source=pw980

pics were taken last week of May.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 04:10 AM

Yes, you really do need an indian ruin. Mesa Verde and Bandelier are both great.

The train trip is a whole day and requires two nights, so that does cut down the available time, especially considering the distances involved.

I wouldn't have thought of going west to RMNP or Moab, but I can see the idea has merit.

Between Durango and Santa Fe, you will want to stop in Chama, where the rest of the narrow gauge railroad stuff that is not at Durango just sits in a railroad yard where you can walk all around it.

Personally, I would not want to go to this part of the country without a trip to Taos, then down the High Road to Santa Fe.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 06:43 AM

With all due respect, the train ride from Durango to Silverton is a day trip only -- not sure what you mean about the "requires two nights." You can also take the train one way and a bus back to save time since you really only see the same sites again. But if you have a train fan, that might be good.

The Chama train and the Durango train are 2 sep. entities.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM

There are two other train possibilities in the Denver area and one in colorado Springs I am aware of.

AMTRAK runs out of Denver in the morning (if it's on time) westbound into the Rockies. Glenwood Springs is a great place to get off and by that time, you have seen the best of the Rocky Mountain scenic views (including the view across the Great Plains from the upper reaches of the front range). Glenwood Springs is also a neat place for an overnight stay.

About 40 miles west of Denver, in the town of Georgetown, an old narrow-gauge mining line known as the Georgetown Loop has a trip through along the mountains to Silver Plume and back. It is fairly short as excursion trains go but it will be a more authentic experience for your train buff than AMTRAK.

Near Colorado Springs, the Royal Gorge Route runs an excursion trains pulled by Streamliner locomotives along the Arkansas River through the gorge. Check out http://www.royalgorgeroute.com/.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM

I guess Ackislander was suggesting spending the night before and after the train ride in Durango- which is probably a good idea. My suggestion for the zipline the train only goes about 1/2 way. They stop the train for the people who have zipline tickets. Everyone else on the train will look at you in shock, as they had no clue this was even offered. You then ride the train back on the return 5 or 6 hours later. VERY COOL!!! expensive, but worth it. I am not particularly into trains, it was very nice and scenic, but an hour to two on the train was plenty for me.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 01:37 PM

As DebitNM said, the Chama train is the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. It's not affiliated with the Durango train. If you saw Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, the opening scenes aboard the train show the Cumbres and Toltec.

www.cumbrestoltec.com

Lee Ann
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 03:45 PM

Should have made my meaning clearer.

I did in fact mean that you are likely to have to spend two nights in Durango to take the Silverton train, since you can't drive there from anywhere else significant in time to catch the morning departure. Ditto the afternoon. It is a fur piece to much of anywhere else. Staying two nights in Durango is no hardship, since there are lots of good places to eat.

The equipment on the Cumbres and Toltec and most of the equipment on the D&S originated on the same railroad, the Denver and Rio Grande, some of it after a stay on the Rio Grande Southern. The two sections of the D&RG were once connected, and trains ran from Chama to Durango, with connections to Silverton, Rico, Telluride, etc. A branch (the "Chili Line") once came into Santa Fe from the north. The stone station at Embudo (now a restaurant) is a remnant of this operation. All plenty to light up the eyes of a train-interested teenager.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

WOW, you are all great.

I am still revising my plans. Looking at airfares, car rental costs ect. It looks like I may just do a loop thru DEN.

It was suggested to get used to the altitude to go from DEN to Durango then swing up and hit RMNP with my nephew who lives in DEN in the end.

My daughter already said she's not spending her whole trip on trains, since I have neck and back problems (no zip, though I'd love to) we saw the Jeep trips in conjuction with the D&S. Daughter said yes to that and they want to hit some hot springs too. Moab (Arches and Canyonlands National Parks), and Mesa Verde National Park all on the list.

so it looks like our timeline is July 4-5 return east July 15.

ANYone see any faults with this or anything that I may want to avoid, over-crowded areas?

BTW, I'm a single Mom travelling...any issues I should be aware of... I grew up in NYC so I am O.K. and have travelled for years with my 2 kids. BUT this is our first big road trip out west.

MANY THANKS
Ria
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 01:50 PM

I think Moab is not a reality in the time frame you have set. It is 6-7 hours drive from Denver to Durango. That will take a day for each way. Mesa Verde will be at least a full day, better a day and a half.

Re the Jeep rides: they have be extremely rough and if you have neck and back problems you might want to pass on them.

Not sure what issues you are thinking of; I am a former NYer and it is great here. Just be prepared for high altitude [sunblock, lots of water, chapstick and lotion].

When you are ready, I have threads on here about restaurants in Durango.