1 nigth stay in Hana... with kids

Jul 26th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

1 nigth stay in Hana... with kids

Hi everyone,

Any recommendations for a place to stay in or around the Hana area for 1 night... some place where the kids (13, 9) would not be too bored (near a beach, a place with a pool or hot tub, etc.). This is for late August (next month).

Also, I am not looking to spend the amount of $$ for the Hotel Hana (would go as high as $250 but prefer to spend less than that).

Since we're flying into Maui around noonish, and staying in Wailea, I thought it might be good to do the Hana trip when we first get there... stay one night... then drive the South route back the next morning.

Is this a good idea (with kids)? Are there good places that are not too expensive for breakfast the next morning?

Thanks!
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:12 PM

You could try
http://www.hana-maui.com/welcome.html

They have a two br and a three br, and a hot tub. They are across from Waioka Pool, and there are plenty of places to explore.

There are three food options in Hana--the Hotel Hana-Maui diningroom (pricey), the Hana Ranch Restaurant, and Tutus Snack Bar. The Ranch Restaurant is probably your best bet, and if you get a late start, they sell sandwiches from their counter after 10 until they begin lunch. But we usually eat at Tutu's, as DH insists that Tutu's makes the very best loco moco on the island.
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks here_today!

That's actually 1 of a few places that looked interesting to me!

Can you tell me about the Waioka Pool... I saw the picture. Is that sort of a "local swimming hole"? Is there a swimmable beach within walking distance as well?

Jul 26th, 2004, 12:55 PM

It used to be a lovely, serene secluded place. It used to be a perfect setting for morning yoga. But lately it has become a bit overrun with visitors, thanks to a certain guide book. But if you get there in the earlyu morning or late in the day, you can still enjoy some quiet time. We like to go over there for sunrise.
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Since we're flying into Maui around noonish, and staying in Wailea, I thought it might be good to do the Hana trip when we first get there... stay one night... then drive the South route back the next morning.

Personally I wouldn't do it this way. The trip to Hana is long (extremely long for a 9 year old!). Especially after being confined in an aircraft the previous 5 hours. I'd choose another day to do the Hana thing. Just my opinion.
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

here_today:

I figured out what the Waioka pool is... the so-called Venus pool, correct? I haven't been to Hana in years.

kolohegirl:

Actually, Maui will be the 4th island we'll be visiting, so we won't have had a 5 hour flight the day before... we'll be coming from Kauai (I forgot to mention that *minor* detail... ha!).

And I agree it is a long drive... hence the desire to stay there and do the 2nd half the next morning (I remember it being a long ride even for me!!).