1-2 Night Outing Sans Kids

Old May 19th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1-2 Night Outing Sans Kids

We are traveling to Bellingham in August to visit my in-laws. My mother-in-law has offered to watch our kids while my husband and I do something on our own. Yes, we're very excited. It will be 1 or 2 nights away depending on how much help she has. We have a one-year old, so he can be a handful.

Wanted to see if anybody had any recommendations for a fun outing in the Seattle/Bellingham/Vancouver area. We'd prefer something active.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Amy
[email protected]
www.sofiabean.com
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:45 AM

Not sure if you were planning to stay overnight someplace, but you could drive up to Whistler, do some hiking, stay overnight. Rates are much lower during summer at some of the top resorts. Or maybe head to Victoria. Enjoy your 2 days of freedom!
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gail. I had looked into Whistler last time we went out there and I'm leaning toward that. One of my husband's sisters said it takes soooo long to get there and there's not much to do, but I really think they've only been there for skiing.

Thanks again.

Amy
[email protected]
www.sofiabean.com
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:34 AM

If you want something closer, think about either a b and b on Lummi Island, or a cabin on the Mt. Baker Hwy (tons of great hikes in that area). Whistler is great but it's 3 hours plus time in line at the border to get there, and if you only have overnight, that really cuts into your "active" time.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:16 PM

I'd recommend a trip to Winthrop. It's only a couple of hours from Bellingham. They have great cross-country trails for mountain biking or hiking, white water rafting on the Methow, horseback riding, fishing....The best places to stay in town are Sun Mountain Lodge (high end), or the Hotel Rio Vista (moderate and right on the river) Check it out: www.winthropwashington.com
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:47 PM

A trip to Saltspring in the Gulf Islands would be great. Thursday visits to the artists studios and the Saturday art sale in Ganges make for a perfect two night trip. It's a short drive to the Tsawwassen Ferry and a beautiful ferry ride.
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM

You can take Amtrak from Bellingham to Vancouver for a get-away and there's a lot to do and see there. You can be very active in that city! It's a lovely train ride that avoids the border wait.

Salt Springs Island is a good idea. There's lovely places to stay and you can explore the island. Victoria/Vancouver Island is not that far if you take the Tsawwasen ferry in BC. For both, you have the border wait which isn't getting shorter.

Winthrop is a full 3 hour drive from here over the scenic North Cascades highway. Beautiful and warm but there's closer places to visit.

Old May 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM
trippinkpj

This is a romantic spot:
http://www.trumpeterinn.com/

I also like Victoria.

Old May 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM

The San Juan Islands are a romantic lovely escape and just a short way from Bellingham. I stayed at the Friday Harbor House about two years ago and loved it. Fabulous restaurant and very elegant rooms. Perfect for a romantic trip with not too much travel time!
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:08 PM

Well, for "something active" I'd choose a kayak trip. There's one that actually includes B&B stay in the San Juans.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. These are some great recommendations. I think I may even teach my husband's family who have lived there for the last 20 years a thing or two.

I will post whatever we end up doing and let you know how it went. I did a bunch of research here in 2002 when my husband and I went to Paris and this is such a great resource.

Thanks again!

Amy
[email protected]
www.sofiabean.com