Search

Your Favorite Rain coat?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Favorite Rain coat?

Headed to Scotland next late May, early June. Looking at various rain coats. They all seem to get really mixed reviews. LL Bean Trail Model Rain Coat - anyone use that one? Reviews all over

Thoughts?
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you looked at REI? I have been pleased with the rain pants I bought from them. Would suggest rain pants and waterproof boots as well as the coat, although if you are not going hiking an umbrella may substitute for a fully waterproof coat.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 02:51 PM

Do you want a stylish rain coat that is mostly, but not entirely, water proof, or do you want something that can withstand a true soaking?

I'm guessing the latter, since the LL Bean your refer to is more in that style.

I swear by the Marmot Precip:
https://marmot.com/products/details/...cip-jacket-new
Truly waterproof, light as a feather, and you can often find it discounted at sites like Campmor or Moosejaw. I had my first one for 15 years and abused it until the lining disintegrated, just bought another one this past summer, love it.

If you browse the Marmot site, you'll see there are other styles.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need to replace my current REI jacket, and that does look like a candidate, except I want to be able to remove the hood. I travel with just the one jacket and most of time the hood is a nuisance.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 09:11 PM

You can stow the hood by rolling it into a sort of sleeve around the neck which closes with Velcro. It creates a nice stand up collar, and IMO is more practical than a removable hood.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 10:51 PM
kja

My rain jacket is from The North Face -- very lightweight, superb protection from rain, and most importantly from my perspective, incredibly breathable. The hood on mine is not removable; for my purposes, that's not an issue.

As NewbE suggested, browsing Campmor.com can be worthwhile, or perhaps SierraTradingPost.com ....
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 03:45 AM

My #1 travel piece is a Marmot waterproof hooded shell. It is over hip length and roomy enough to layer over a packable down jacket or thin wool sweater. Waterproof probably best for Scotland, along with quick-dry pants (Athleta, Columbia, etc.)

My #2 travel piece is a Magellan water-resistant hooded lightweight jacket with removable sleeves and 12 pockets inside and out. I love it as it eliminates a handbag/tote on most occasions and on the plane.

My oldest standby (30 years) is my lined Burberry; but without a hood, it remains in the closet for our travels! I couldnt afford to buy a new one for sure!
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I like hoods so that's not an issue and sometimes easier to manage than holding an umbrella (especially if taking pictures)

We won't be hiking. Playing tourist and seeing sites. If it's absolutely drenching weather will probably not be out in it says DH.

I'll take a look at couple of the sites. Hadn't thought of REI - we have a store not too far away. Might be worth it to stop in
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 11:26 AM

I don't own it--yet, ha ha-- but the Everlane City Anorak looks good to me, as something slightly less sporty than the marmot I have:

https://www.everlane.com/collections...y-anorak-black
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 08:14 PM

More expensive than you probably want, but my favorite has been the one I bought from mountain hardwear. I think it's made for climbing- bought it because the hood has a toggle that makes it fit over a helmet or hat or bare head. It's that hard shell material rather than the windbreaker material. Anyway, it's turned out to be pretty much bomb proof. Washes up well, is the right weight to stay happy in heavy downpours, has zippered vents. I wasn't sure I'd get my money's worth but definitely have- 5 years old and still going strong. Has outlasted both my north face and Columbia jackets that I've had previously. Although to be fair- Columbia and north Face were both good water proof wise - they just had design issues I wasn't crazy about.
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 08:45 PM

Several years ago whilst in the UK, I bought a waterproof coat from ROHAN. It is the best coat I have. Just under the knee. I have worn it up so many mountains in the UK. Just used it again on the Coast to Coast walk. Highlands, Edinburgh . And winter here in Aus it comes out again. I even wear it over my uniform to walk to work from our carpark. It looks great, totally waterproof and not bulky.
Not cheap but you get what you pay for. Ten years on!
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 05:06 PM

Bought one in March of 2013 from a wholesaler factory sale
and all had lable taken off to sell cheap

It folds up (hood in collar) and hotels I stay at with bathroom down the hall it becomes a defacto robe
Old Nov 25th, 2016, 01:44 AM

Another vote for the Marmot Precip suggested by Newbe. I bought one for a trip to New Zealand in winter a coupe of years ago and it performed exceptional well. exceptional VFM. I like that it packs into its own pocket. It may not be the lightest on the market but still pretty compact.

it started to loose breathability and waterproofing after a year or so but washing and tumble-drying in a reproofer and it was even better than when brand new - seemed to make it more flexible too.
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 03:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I love Jack Wolfskin. I got hooked on them in Germany. I now own three of their coats. Best part is they have so many hidden pockets and they layer nice. The hoods detach or roll up.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~j...-clothing~d~6/

Check ebay also.
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 11:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought my second Marmot Prexip. Our whole family has them. Excellent.
Old Dec 4th, 2016, 08:59 PM

Lowrider from Outbacktrading.com
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 01:57 PM

Love my Marmot Precip - wore out my first one. Waterproof and wind proof and breathable. I did not know it could be "reproofed" - great info. It folds up into its own pocket and has a hood that can be sort of rolled up and hooked with a Velcro strap. I am not too keen on the way the hood works - mostly I just leave it open.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 02:40 AM

<i>We won't be hiking. Playing tourist and seeing sites. If it's absolutely drenching weather will probably not be out in it says DH. </i>

Then you don't need a fancy rain coat. Just buy whatever North Face that you like.

And get a Seattle Sombrero: http://amzn.to/2iLi2F7 Those things are amazing.