rain gear

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rain gear

going to trinidad shortly, but that board has almost no activity so thought I would post this here.

What kind of raincoat do you take for nature type activities? we have a regular lightweight microfiber. Also have bought (but may return) a large nylony waterproof poncho type - this appears to be very full and 3rd. just a plastic raincoat.

curious as to how much needed and what type if any people take along when birding or sightseeing - will not have our own car. so would go in a back pack. none are that big.

thanks
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 09:57 AM

I've never been to Trinidad, but just returned from Costa Rica. We took along very light weight REI rain jackets and I don't think we wore them once, mostly because we weren't in any torrential downpours. There was one instance where I wish I had it with me, but I didn't. I survived.

One of our tour guides on a wildlife/birding trip said if you are caught in a downpour you'll get wet no matter what so why worry about raingear, but I noticed on a couple of occasions he had raingear on.

A heavy rain jacket would be too hot, so whatever you go with keep it light. I have read that whether it's a poncho or rain jacket, to make sure it's roomy so camera, binoculars, waist pack or possibly a small backpack fits underneath.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:24 AM

I bought a very lightweight, breathable rain jacket at LL Bean. I scrunch it up and keep it in my backpack. It has a hood, so I don't bother with umbrellas or hats. Make sure it's waterproof -- I made the mistake of bringing a "water resistant" jacket once, and I got caught in a downpour and was miserable the rest of the day. I was soaked through all of the layers of my clothes down to the skin. Heavy plastic would be too hot for a tropical climate.

Sandy
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 01:50 PM

I recommend going to any travel store and buying one of those fit-in-your-pocket throwaway rain ponchos. Also, buy one of those tiny little umbrellas with the handle that telescopes. It'll fit in your pocket,too. That's all you'll need - even in the heaviest part of the rainy season. In fact, the ONLY time I ever see anyone wearing a raincoat here is when they are tromping about deep in the rainforest for days on end. In which case, you best also bring some high rubber boots!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 06:40 AM

I do a fair amount of traveling, camping, kayaking in rainy weather including two weeks in CR this Oct which was pretty wet.
I use a breathable raincoat that packs inside itself. It gives me pockets for camera, bird guide, etc is plenty comfortable and serves as a windbreaker if I hit any cooler temps. I find it far more comfortable than one of those minimal vinyl ponchos and it's only a little bigger and heavier.
Finally, I hate wearing a hood which makes constant noise against my ears, and blocks my peripheral vision so I bought a waterproof hat made by Outdoor Research that I really love. It's a sombrero style...comfortable, breathable and crushable. Great hat!