Skip the poncho?

Jan 14th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Skip the poncho?

If we are traveling to the hot, steamy coastal areas, is a poncho really necessary? Won't we get just as wet from sweat, wearing a poncho, as we would from the rain? I really don't mind looking like a drowned rat. So, is there some other reason to take one?
Thanks!
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM

I take a really light goretex jacket with me. Last summer in Honduras (La Ceiba area, Utila, Roatán) I didn't wear it though - almost zero rain. Other trips I've been glad to have it. I wouldn't wear a plasticky coat or poncho, though - the heat would be miserable. Where are you headed? Maybe folks who are familiar with that area could inform you better. Happy trails!
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM

If you only need rain cover in the heat bring a small umbrella or buy one when you are there.
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Hopefulist,
I'll be near Puerto Viejo on the carribean side and Near Golfito on the Pacific side. Hot and humid! Still I wish I had a goretex jacket. Alas, I've already blown my travel budget - no goretex this time.

Earthtraveler,
An umbrella would be fine for in town or walking on the beach. But, when hiking in the jungle I'd like to have both hands free. Thanks for the thought.

Anyone else? I'm still wondering...if I don't mind getting wet, is there another reason for the rain protection? Is the rain cool enough to induce chills?
Thanks!
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Jed

We bring the plastic ponchos that fold up into a tiny pack. My wife got one free at Chico's, and I have seen them for a dollar.
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:49 AM

PV on the Caribe can cool down if a weather system moves in for days. We were there early Feb last year and the one rainy day we got rain soaked we were at the beach but we were dressed for it, swimsuits. We did get chilled. If I had been out hiking that day a very light weight $5. poncho may have been reasonable to wear during the downpour. Nights cooled down there last year so much we needed the bed quilt. It can also get quite hot there.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:28 AM

We always like our hands free for our binoculars. We wear lightweight waterproof jackets (not Goretex) with a hood and large brimmed rain hats over the hood to keep the water out of our eyes. We like the hood so that the water doesn't run down our necks. We like the jackets because we can easily open them up in front for a little air if we get hot. We always have our binocs, cameras, and bird books handy etc so we really do like to have so protection for them.

The ponchos aren't a bad idea to have as well. We always have a couple tucked in our pockets or daypacks for an unexpected rain. Yes it can get chilly.

We spend a lot of time on the Caribbean slope around La Selva and a lot of time on the southern Osa. We haven't needed the rain gear much on the Osa but have used it a good bit on the Caribbean side in the rainforest areas.
Jan 17th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll have to get one after all.
Jan 17th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Just a contrasting thought. . .we've spent a total of about 6 months there over the past 5 years, mostly during the rainy season, and have NEVER taken rain gear. AND there has never been a time that we've REALLY needed it. I do think we've been extraordinarily lucky--all over the country, and I'm not recommending that you don't take it. . .just sharing our experience.

We've been out and about, sure, during a few light rains or sprinkles, but have never been in the heavy deluges while out and about. In the rainforest, the trees above offer a fair amount of protection in a light rain.