Search

Where to go to scuba?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go to scuba?

Id like to go somewhere this summer. My g/f and I are certified scuba divers. Where would someone recommend? Price is no object. We are interested in possibly an all-inclusive. We were thinking somewhere in the Carribean, Mexico, or Hawaii. While scuba diving is a major consideration, finding a nice place to have a relaxing vacation is more important. Id like to find somewhere where its the best of both worlds.
Please include where to stay in your answer.

thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:16 AM

Saba in the Netherlands Antilles or Bonaire are pretty popular spots with serious divers. On Saba, your options for where to stay since the island is only about 5 sq. miles. Probably more options on Bonaire. You might get more info on exactly where to stay in either of these places on the Caribbean board.

St. Croix also has excellent diving with lots of resort options.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:49 AM

You might trying doing some research and then ask questions on Scubaboard.com, a very friendly forum full of scuba enthusiasts (including professionals).

Mr frogoutofwater and I had a great dive-focused trip to Curacao last November. We chose Curacao because, together with Aruba and Bonaire, it's outside the hurricane belt and is supposed to have very good diving. (The diving in Bonaire is better, but it's mostly shore diving and we prefer boat diving.) We stayed at the Marriott Curacao, which had a very good dive shop on the premises. I don't know whether all-inclusive is an option. Prices were reasonable. The diving was very good and very easy - lots of animal life and enough variety in dive sites. I think it's a good shop for novices through upper intermediate divers - very advanced divers might find it a little boring. The hotel has a nice pool and good beach. Outside the resort, there are good restaurant options on the island - there's a shuttle to the city centre. We also rented a car for a day to do some sightseeing. We flew AA from New York, connecting in Miami.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:41 AM

My favorite place is CoCoView resort in Roatan Honduras. Check out their web site at: http://www.cocoviewresort.com/
My husband has been 5 times, my son 3 times and I have been twice. My son spent two full summers there as an intern for the dive shop. Great diving, both from the boat and right from the "beach". There is an interesting wreck and a beautiful wall. Good food, terrific folks and comfortable accommodations.

One of the things I like the best is how easy they make the diving. The gear storage rooms are right on the dock. The dive guys load up your tanks and BC's, you are just responsible for fins, mask, cameras. The first dive is a typical boat dive, then the second dive is a drop off. Depending on where your first dive was, they can drop you off on one of two walls or the wreck. Then you are on your own but the swim into shore is close. You can take your time and enjoy yourself. If you want to make an early morning beach dive, the tanks are ready. Want to do a night dive, once again tanks are ready and the safety system set up. You can dive to your hearts content.

There is a huge vaiety of fish and sea critters. My husband and son are avid underwater photographers and can blow through a whole tank just taking pictures on the wreck. My most memorable dive was on the wall hanging suspended as a huge school of fish swan a ballet around me. It went on forever and I kept watching my air because I did not want to run low before the show was over! We are definitely going back.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:06 AM

We just came back from Cozumel. We dove the Palancar reef and another spot. It was really nice - warm water, good visibility, excellent fish and reefs.

I dove with Dive with Martin. The dive master was good, the boat was good, the staff at the dive shop were friendly but the rental equipment was a little ratty. My BC had a slow leak and my wife had to switch BC's because hers had a big leak.

The reef in Belize and Grand Cayman are supposed to be other top spots for SCUBA.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to start with Footprint's "Diving the World", with 200 sites. See http://www.amazon.com/Diving-World-F.../dp/1904777597
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:21 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about Bonaire from a friend who dove there recently. There are plenty of places with easy access for shore diving, so you aren't tied to the schedule of a boat. This may fit well with your desires. In fact, many people just rent a car and drive to dive spots on the island. A good article with more info about Bonaire diving is here: http://www.scuba.com/travel/bonaire/ There are interesting things to see above water as well.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM

I know the local dive group goes to Bonaire almost every year and rave about it. I haven't had a chance to dive much or join them so I can't give my own opinions or suggestions on that area.

You say that price is no object, and you want a nice relaxing vacation. I'd say go for the Great Barrier. It's amazingly beautiful and overwhelming (in a good way). Australia is wonderful and the people were extremely friendly. The forests near Cairns are fun and and a great way to spend time out of the water.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM

I love Bonaire for non-stop diving, the arid but lovely landscape, the cold Amstel, the lush coral reefs, the windsurfing, the sun, and the friendly people, but if you want an overall relaxing,luxurious vacation experience, what about Maui for gorgeous resorts, lush scenery, very decent diving, lots to explore and great restaurants?
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Maldives - scuba diving nirvana. Tiny islands, overwater bungalows, house reefs, boat and shore dives. Lots of resorts to choose from, ranging from 3 start to off the charts $$$.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 01:03 PM

no budget and keen on scuba - LIVE-ABOARD!
Peter Hughes or Aggressor fleet.
Favourite: Papua New Guinea (New Ireland, New Britain) in combo with the Great Barrier Reef on a Mike Ball vessel
Cocos - do The Wall/blue hole
Roley shoals in West Australia

etc etc etc

All tips are for the more advanced cold blooded diver as tiger shark, hammerheads, white tips etc encounters are possible at any given dive.

Happy diving!

SV
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM

oops - forgot one recent addition:
Board in Marsa Alam and do the "deep south" on Royal Evolution which goes for 2 weeks all the way down to Eritrea. Absolutely untouched and wild!
There are some live-aboards who do Sudan as well but they check out of Port sudan which is not so convenient for Europeans. For you that might offer another chance!

SV