Ways to help hotels/restaurants survive this

Old May 3rd, 2020, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ways to help hotels/restaurants survive this

To help restaurants and independent hotels survive the hospitality industry calamity - Pre-bought vouchers for future travel, some discounted, some more like 'money on account'.. Not like travelzoo where you are paying for a specific booking.

sites like

https://hotelcredits.porterandsail.com

https://buynowstaylater.com

https://www.wetravelforward.com

I'm sure there are others.

Then restaurants/chains -- like Il Fornaio as one example, if one buys a gift card for future dining they are throwing in additional cards "As a thank you for your support during the COVID-19 temporary closures, we’ll tack on a little extra: you’ll receive a $125 gift card for spending $100 or a $250 gift card for spending $200!" Like free money

Or just buy gift cards to help local restaurants with cash flow (hopefully they will be able to reopen)
Old May 3rd, 2020, 01:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rather than pay now for what may be nothing if either I or the businesses do not survive the pandemic, I would rather pay a higher future price when both I and the businesses return to commerce.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am more worried about their cash flow now . . . Not so much about when/if I personally can use it. Back in mid march I bought gift certs from about 5 or 6 independent local eateries . . . Not knowing if I'd ever be able to use them. Better that IMO that donating to some of the 'restaurant support' charities advertising all over TV. I also prepaid for two hair appointments - now tgat was REAL money and for some dry cleaning (dry cleaners are open but I don't really want to use them yet)

but there are two hotels on those sites I was already looking to stay in the future, one in London and one in South Africa so why not if it will help a little.
u
Old May 5th, 2020, 05:33 AM
mms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We rarely eat out, but during this we have been doing take out, of course, on Friday nights from small independent places near us. A friend in the neighborhood does a Facebook live bingo game every Friday night, and she give gift cards to these same local restaurants and coffee shops. The game itself is fun, but the prizes make it even more so.
Old May 6th, 2020, 08:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eschew delivery services like Doordash or grubhub and pick up if possible or use the restaurants own delivery service. These delivery services charge high fees which takes money away from the restaurant.

Old May 6th, 2020, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Eschew delivery services like Doordash or grubhub "

Always -- I either use the restaurant's own services or pick up curbside.
Old May 6th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've been ordering takeout two nights a week from our favorite locally owned, neighborhood restaurants and just making sure to tip generously!
Old May 6th, 2020, 11:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Janisj and lynni good practices.

When order now it’s local, mom and pop places. They need it the most.
Old May 6th, 2020, 12:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up our Chinese takeout and rec’d this cookie fortune:

”Stop waiting! Buy that ticket takes that special trip,”
Old May 7th, 2020, 05:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frontline Foods is a new grassroots organization that purchases and delivers food from local restaurants to hospital workers fighting COVID-19
https://www.frontlinefoods.org/
Old May 13th, 2020, 03:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely great idea - thanks for sharing it ! On the lighter side of "dealing with pandemy" here is how a strip club found a way to survive during Covid: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us...7fXvbrjwIfxaxo