Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite staycation ideas as you self-isolate?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2020, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you keeping busy or relaxing?

We will incorporate your unique insights in our upcoming newsletters, social media, and articles!
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 06:30 PM

Food—I’m taking ideas from things I’ve eaten while traveling, and occasionally attempted to recreate them. or things from places I haven’t visited yet—I think I might try a night of Spanish appetizers soon.

sunning, plant tending, and taking pictures of the local cherry blossoms (I’ve been to DC during Sakura season and I want to revisit japan for those sometime.)

Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 06:51 AM

Last weekend we made a picnic lunch and drove to the beach to watch the birds and the waves. This weekend we are driving a bit further south to see the Mercy ship and hopefully get some photos. The weekend after that we will drive to see wildflowers somewhere here on the central coast.
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by lynni
Last weekend we made a picnic lunch and drove to the beach to watch the birds and the waves. This weekend we are driving a bit further south to see the Mercy ship and hopefully get some photos. The weekend after that we will drive to see wildflowers somewhere here on the central coast.
A lot of driving there! Are you not in lockdown?
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 02:19 AM

No we are not really "locked down", not the way they are elsewhere that you have to prove you are out on essential business. There is no one enforcing any social distancing or making sure people are only outside on essential business. Some public agencies have put up "closed" signs on parking lots, hiking trails, and beaches. That's about it. Restaurants are still available for takeaway and hotels are still open if they want to be. Public campgrounds may be closed, especially some of the beach ones that people use in winter.

Many public parks, cemeteries, botanic gardens and bike trails remain open.

I've bought a membership to a nearby Botanic Garden which requires an advance reservation in a time slot, and online payment if not a member. It has a few areas that are roped off since they tend to be crowded but otherwise easy to social distance. I visited their tiny Sakura planting (5 trees I think) and also enjoyed the coral trees.

Last edited by mlgb; Apr 5th, 2020 at 02:21 AM.
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 07:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
mostly gardening, reading and trying interesting recipes (if only I could get some eggs ). Also been watching streamed West End plays and Royal Opera House productions.

Every 4 or 5 days I was taking hour or so drives into the country with the top down just to get the wind in my hair and feel 'un-locked-down'. I had filled the tank before things got so bad and the roadster gets great mileage so I wasn't worried about using the gas. But now I'm down to a bit over half a tank and will avoid unnecessary drives because I don't relish going to the gas station any time soon. I do have another car that I seldom use - the battery was dead so I charged it up and it started great -- but won't start again so I assume the alternator is shot. Worse come to worse I can always syphon the gas out of the clunker to top up the other car.

Old Apr 7th, 2020, 01:31 AM

Thanks for clarifying mlgb. I was under the impression that the whole of the Us was under lockdown but it seems that it is just certain states.

Here in the UK it is very much stay at home unless you have very good reasons for being out and about - doctors, food shopping, pharmacy visits etc. Our "staycations" are limited to one hour per day outside for exercise, alone or with members of the same household. Fortunately, where we are at present is very close to open countryside so we have some great walks from the front door. 2 metres social distancing when out is mostly being observed although last weekend was the the warmest this year and many people chose to ignore the intructions. Amazing how short some people think 2 metres is! The police were actively dispersing groups and issuing fines For those crowding beaches and parks etc. There has also been a fair amount of resentment from locals living in areas where there is a lot of tourism, second homes, holiday homes etc.

Anyone over age 70 or in a high risk group have been instructed to stay at home for 12 weeks.

I confess, just a couple of weeks into self isolation and I am already struggling with things to do. Having culled some 20,000 travel photos form the last 12 years of travelling, I am saving reorganising them to albums on the MacBook for when things get really desperate. Maybe it is time to either

As far as driving is concerned, it is very much the same. Essential journeys only, including to and from work where this cannot be done at home. Of course what people define as essential is open to question. Road traffic here has reduced by some 70%. I think the aim is to reduce the strain on the NHS and emergency services because of avoidable RTAs.

Janisj - re West End plays. Have you seen James Corden’s "One Man, Two Guvnors" apparently it is available to stream on YouTube this week.

Stay safe and well guys.

Old Apr 7th, 2020, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
Thanks for clarifying mlgb. I was under the impression that the whole of the Us was under lockdown but it seems that it is just certain states. . . .

. . . Janisj - re West End plays. Have you seen James Corden’s "One Man, Two Guvnors" apparently it is available to stream on YouTube this week.

Stay safe and well guys.
Even in most places that are 'locked down' there really aren't prohibitions re driving. Inside a car is about as safe a place as one could be. Now, what one does at the destination -- that is a different thing.

Yes, I did see it -- PatrickLondon (I 'think' that's who it was) linked it in the Lounge. I saw that production in London but it was about 3 weeks after Cordon had left the cast. It was even more hilarious than I remember.

Old Apr 7th, 2020, 11:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Here in Seattle we're on stay-at-home recommendation, now it's thru May 4th, but not being monitored or legally enforced. But my place of business is closed (architecture firm). People are cooperating voluntarily. You can still go out if you want or need to, take a walk, take a drive, go to the store, whatever.
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 12:10 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I am going through some of my many thousands of old slides and photo prints and digitizing them (inexpensive slide scanner) before the last vestiges of their detail and color vanish. It's bringing back lots of memories, also a few cringes when I see pictures of myself from 1972 .

Images of days gone past -

One-dog commuter, Nenana, Alaska, taken from the winter train in 1971 -

St. Abbs, Scotland, the following year -

Old Apr 7th, 2020, 02:07 PM

Gardyloo -- I'm about to do the same . . . ordered a scanner last Friday which should be delivered tomorrow. Once I start that project this lock down could last 6 more months and I'd still not be finished

What a difference one year apart! I once stayed at a B&B just across the harbor from that view. I don't think its in business now but what a great area - I love St Abb's Head.
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 07:11 AM

I do the indoor "honey do" list. .

Also like to dabble more in the kitchen.

We do go out for walks as the gym is closed and I ordered a kettle bell from Amazon which actually is a good tool for a decent work out. This will due until we can get back to the gym.

Old Apr 14th, 2020, 10:46 AM

"Also like to dabble more in the kitchen” Me too JW. Trouble is my wife insists I only want to go in there because I am bored! She has been updating her recipe blog with a few from our travels @ https://recipesandrucksacks.wordpress.com .

Great idea to order a kettle bell from Amazon. I have been improvising with a day pack filled with 20 cans of tomatoes. I am going to need more tomatoes....
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
"Also like to dabble more in the kitchen” Me too JW. Trouble is my wife insists I only want to go in there because I am bored! She has been updating her recipe blog with a few from our travels @ https://recipesandrucksacks.wordpress.com .

Great idea to order a kettle bell from Amazon. I have been improvising with a day pack filled with 20 cans of tomatoes. I am going to need more tomatoes....
First of all your recipe list is amazing! Your wife had gourmet talent. Sue makes a banana loaf with raisins and we soak them in believe or not whiskey or rum. Bulleit rye seems to work the best. Also there quite a nice range there too.

I tried the kettle bell one day at the gym and was surprised at the quality of the workout I got.

That being said we are about to order Indian take tonight.

Cheers! 🥫🥫
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 12:56 AM

I walked past the Indian restaurant last night - the smell was divine! Too bad we had already eaten! I think home cooked Chicken Vindaloo is on the menu tonight!
Old May 21st, 2020, 06:54 AM

Plant some seeds. It doesn't need to be shop bought, you can use apple, tomato, pepper seeds etc from the kitchen or something from a deadhead in the garden / acorn etc.
Old May 29th, 2020, 03:26 PM

I revisited my first love, which was reading. Although I have finished a few books in the past years, I don't think the number would have exceeded the fingers on my hand. And yet I accumulate way more than that... so it feels good that I finally made some time for them. The family dog has also been a constant source of entertainment, and we have spent the last weeks teaching him some new tricks! The cuteness was able to alleviate some of our anxiety regarding the global situation in some ways. To ease the desire for wonder, penciling in some future plans has been weirdly soothing. The pictures of white sand and blue skies on here alone was helpful, even if no concrete plans were made. Gardyloo's photos made me want to revisit photo albums, so thanks for that! Even with all that said, I can't wait to feel safe going out again with little to no fear of being sick, though.