Watch Out! There are VRBO.com Fees!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have used VRBO for years with great success and no fees. I just made a vacation home booking through VRBO. There was no mention of a Fee where VRBO outlines their "Book with Confidence Guarantee" There was no mention of a Fee under Fees section of the listing. I found out there was a Fee after clicking the "Book It Now" button. In my case I experienced a massive surprise when a 6% Fee magically appeared. I complained verbally to VRBO indicating that in my personal opinion this is dishonest and a hidden charge until you click "Book It Now". They say they charge this fee to provide their "Book with Confidence Guarantee" and other protections. Is there a good alternative to VRBO.com?
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 08:45 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
A good reminder but we've been discussing this for some time:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...e-whats-up.cfm
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 05:27 AM

I don't use VRBO but I am not clear that this fee is synonymous with the "Book with COnfidence Guarantee", I think it's just a booking fee. IN fact, a service fee is mentioned in the terms and conditions which legally you agree to when using the website (just click on terms and conditions at the bottom of the front page).

What I find questionable is that in the terms and conditions, they do not tell you the amount of the fee, they just say it varies by the price of what you book. If it truly is not disclosed at all the exact amount until you have committed and can't cancel, that does sound potentially illegal, at least in the US. However, clicking on BOok It Now does not obligate you to pay anything, does it? At that point, I thought a request was just made to the owner and you both still have to agree. SO if that is your only complaint, I agree it is shady but I don't find it that bad if you are told when you decide to book. In fact, looking at the web site I don't even see any button that says "Book It NOw". I see a button that says only "Book It" and if you click on that, they just will send a request for the booking if you click on the button "Request to Book", and at that point you get a complete bill with detail that lists the amnount of the service fee.

SO now that I've seen that, I do think it is a little sneaky but not as bad as your post first implied to me. You see the fee before you commit to anything and before you even give them your personal information. It just wastes a little time, but once you do it, you have an idea what the amt. is anyway. No differenty than learning which airlines charge $25 baggage check, etc.

Of course there are a zillion competitors but Airbnb charges a fee also. Many vacation apt. rental agencies do, also. You want to use websites and services but just don't like a fee broken out. I suggest you just focus on the bottom line, which is the final price. I just don't understand the focus on a separate service fee rather than the bottom line and finding what you want easily. Booking.com has many apt. rental listings, also.
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 02:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The fee I am being charged is $400. so after this six week rental I will not use VRBO again.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 04:53 PM

Experienced this for the first time this year when we booked for Hawaii. It was bound to happen. Note ALL the other companies that tack on "convenience" fees. What other agencies can we use to book condos etc for vacation Suggestions
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 05:28 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want suggestions for Hawaiian agencies, better to post on the "United States" forum rather than this one.