Two Days in Brussels?

Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Days in Brussels?

I will be hanging out in Europe next January and was wondering whether I should start in Paris or land in Brussels first and spend a couple of days there? Is it worth it? What is there to do?

Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 10:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors brownronaldo. You'll get lots of help on here. However you have posted on the "Travel Tips" forum which is really for general travel issues -- not destination-specific topics. Very few folks will see/read your post.

There is a VERY active Europe forum (see the 'Change Forum' pulldown menu at the top).

If you post a new thread w/ your questions over there you'll get a lot of advice/suggestions. When you re-post, be sure to tag your thread for Belgium.

(OR - another way to do this: see the gray triangle w/ the ! -- If you click that you'll get a direct link to Fodors editors. You can ask them to move this thread over to Europe.)
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Brussels is, in my opinion, definitely worth a visit. The Grote Markt itself is one of the most beautiful 'squares' in Europe. Take a look at some of the Brussels pages on this sight - and I think you will agree. If you are already in Belgium, and you are wandering around, you might want to also visit Antwerp, Ghent, Brugges, or even Leuven. All are 'worth it' !

but you can visit this url (http://www.travelspec.com/en/flights...ussels-flights) for Brussels flights
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM

You may want to start out by telling us what you like to do. It's so much easier than typing a lot of replies that you veto because that's not what you're into.

Plus, you'll get more help in general.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 12:39 AM

It would also help to know exactly how long you will be in Europe. Is it all of January or only part of it? Is it a vacation trip or a bussiness trip? What's your budget?

If you have the entire month, then yes I think you could go to Brussels for a few days. I've never been there, but I've heard there's a lot to see.

But, if you only have a week or two, you should concentrate on the things you already know you want to see. I have been in Paris recently and it's impossible to see all of it in a week.

Are you planning to go to Europe again the year after, so you can save some experiences for next time? Or will this be your only trip for a few years, so you need to squeeze in everything at once?
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 03:02 AM

I have been told more than once that landing in Paris attracts higher taxes than other European capitals - maybe someone else can comment on this. I am not sure how it compares with Brussels.

Lavandula
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Flying into Brussels will be less expensive than into Paris.

There is enough to keep you busy for two days... I'm flying into there next month and spending two nights before moving onto my next destination.

La Grand Place
Ilot Sacre
Eglise Saint Nicolas
Manequin Pis & museum
Notre Dame de Bon Secours (our lady of succour)
Notre Dame aux Riches Claires
Old Port
St. Jean Baptiste au Beguinage
St. Michele et Gudule Cathedral
Magrite Museum
Art Nouveau areas - Ixells and south of Avenue Louise
Cantillon brewery
National Basilica of Sacred Heart of Koekelberg
Lower City (Ville Basse) and Upper City (Ville Haute)
Grimbergen Abbey - brewery just a short trip north of Brussels

There's more... but not stuff I'm interested in.