3 days in Belgium - What to do

Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

3 days in Belgium - What to do

Hi - I am traveling to Leuven in Belgium on business for 2 days and after that I have 2.5 extra days to explore some areas of Belgium.

What should I do? Where should I go?
FYI - I am going in December first week so I gather it will be VERY COLD. So other than sipping hot chocolate, what else can I do?

I land in Brussels and take off from there to go to Leuven and then I have to ultimately come back to Brussels to take a flight back to the US at the end of the extra 2.5 days.

Thanks for your input.

Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:44 AM

Leuven is basically a suburb of Brussels. You can probably see downtown Brussels (Grand Place) and have dinner in the evenings before you have your 2.5 days of free time.

The other 2.5 days, you could take a day and head to Brugges, overnight, and stop off in Gent for 1/2 day, and spend your final day in Brussels.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:19 PM

May I ask you why you are posting the same question twice in 5 days?
I took the time to post a reply on your previous thread. Apparently you didn't even look at it.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 02:02 PM

Head to Brugge, one of Europe's dreamiest cities. Laced by canals the town is especially captivating after dark (about 4pm on when you're going) when the many bridges are lit. Besides the 'Venice of the North' Gent and Antwerp, both close both have preceints that rival Brugge's unusual city-wide old-world look. Brussels is a dud, one of the ugliest cities in Europe, esp for a capital city, capital of Belgium and Europe. Not that certain pockets of delight are there - the Grand Place, touted as Europe's finest square, and without being used as a parking lot as when i've seen it, it may well be, and the Royal Palace area, the rest is a hectic loud traffic-plagued modern mishmash of boring architectural styles rivalling even those of British cities. Leuven, home of Stella Artois beer and a prestigious Flemish university, is nice as well. But put Brugge at the top of your list. And go back and read Myriam's post and i think she is maybe Belgian and always has sage comments.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi Miriam - Thanks for your previous comments to my post.
However, your reply was mostly centered around Leuven and yours was the only response I got.

I do have more time to go around other places and am welcome to hearing from more people as my plans are more consolidated.

Thanks for your comments and welcome more if you have any more since I am new to the place.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:19 PM

OK, here goes ... both Antwerp and Brussels are only a short train ride away. Brugge is one and a half hour on the train. I agree that Brugge is a lovely little city but it's so overly touristy ... Well, maybe you need to see it anyway.
Antwerp would be my second choice (I live in the area). It's a very compact city and everything is within walking distance from the historical centre.
There's something for everyone in Antwerp: museums, architecture, good shopping, restaurants, ...
Be sure not to miss the architectural wonders in Leuven, though!
Early December shouldn't be too cold. Usually slightly above freezing point. One never knows, of course.

I have some information and pictures on all the above cities on my Virtual Tourist page: http://www.virtualtourist.com/myriam_c
Nov 24th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Myriam.