Notices

Travel Insurance Claim Refused

Old Jul 5th, 2020, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Insurance Claim Refused

We canceled a trip due to Covid. We had insurance with a cancel for any reason clause. Tour operator was very small and we canceled 3 month before the trip.
Tour operator offered to apply credit to a trip next year but we don't know if they will be in business. And Cancel for any reason for nonrefundable payments is not the same as a so called travel phantom shadow credit. Operator is in Morocco.
Anyone have suggestions? Insurance commissioner? Thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 03:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Most insurance policies specifically omit pandemic coverage. There are some exceptions such as someone getting sick on a trip already underway when the pandemic was declared. That does not seem to apply to you . . . but 'in general' travel insurance will not cover . . . even 'Cancel for any reason' policies.

You need to read the fine print of your specific policy though.
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 06:26 PM

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought cancel for any reason could be simply you don’t want to go anymore. I may be wrong but thoroughly read over your policy like janisj says. You may be entitled and they are just giving you a hard time thinking you will just back away.

I had travel insurance on a non refundable room for someone who wasn’t sure if they would be travel which then got cancelled due to COVID 19. The hotel website said closed until after my dates and I was only being offered a credit. The credit would be no good so I submitted a claim. I thought it was going to be denied but didn’t. I said it was due to the virus and only provided the hotel website’s notice of closure. I was so prepared that I also had my country’s advisement on not traveling in case they did.
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had travel insurance. As stated above,, read the fine print. It usually says it doesn't cover cancellation for epidemics/pandemics. They did however, refund us the price we paid for the insurance.