Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

VIBER ? and getting from Air France Bag Claim to American Bag Claim at CDG?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My topic title says it all. I'm meeting friends at CDG on Monday a.m. I'm flying AF, they are on American. We want to meet up, and I arrive 2 hrs. earlier (I hope). I use a cane, so is there an easy way to get to their bag claim or should I just meet them at the Paris hotel? An what is the easiest way (for me) to get into Paris, if I can't meet up w/ them at the airport?

My daughter put the VIBER app on my Iphone. From Paris we fly to Stockholm for a Baltic cruise. Is there a cost or hidden hassle to using VIBER as opposed to just using my T Mobile 20 cent a minute plan? Thank you in advance for ANY help!!! Mary
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
American Airlines uses 2C and Air France uses a variety of terminals depending on the origin point. Assuming that you are flying from the U.S., you will almost certainly arrive in 2E.

You will have tons of time to walk from 2E to 2C even using a cane. It's all in the same building.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 10:32 AM

In case you do not wish to walk, there's a landside shuttle but it goes in the other direction so you'd have to circle all of terminal 2 before getting to 2C http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/e...inal_shuttles/

Otherwise, 2C is just the next hall over.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 10:33 AM

Viber is free but you need to have wifi connection or it won't work. Also, you can only call other people who have Viber.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 10:37 AM

In any case, there is free unlimited wifi at CDG starting July 1st.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 10:37 AM

(Before July 1st, you only get 15 minutes of free wifi.)
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 11:09 AM

VIBER requires an underlining internet. It can be Wifi or mobile (2g,3g,lte, etc). The OP's phone has to register to a mobile carrier or connect to the legitimate WiFi as opposed to rogue WiFi's that try to entice you to use to capture your traffic.

Also, the OP's other talking "partner", whoever is not clear, has to have the VIBER setup and be active to receive connections.

I see several items needing to be set up correctly for the Viber scheme to work. The OP also has to know how to troubleshoot the setup if Viber is not connecting.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 11:22 AM

Do not spend hours wandering about the airport. Just go right to your hotel and lie down. They will turn up when they will.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Liking all your replies. Thanks again for the spot on advice. Love this forum
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 03:17 PM
jgg

We have used Viber many times for international travel as well as when my daughter was studying abroad in Italy. It is not that complicated. Yes, you can only communicate with others who have Viber but just make sure anyone you may wish to talk/text with has it before you leave. As long as you have a wifi connection it should work fine. Not complicated to setup and activate on anyone's phone.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 03:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The logistics are not good -what if their flight is late . . . Or yours is? Just meet up at your hotel in Paris.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 09:44 PM

You can't rely on meeting someone "at bag claim".

Unless your flights are arriving at EXACTLY the same terminal (and even then, you're liable to be aggressively discouraged from hanging around baggage claim, or even arrested), all you can do is make your way to the landside, "meet and greet", post-Customs, area for the terminal your friends will be arriving at.

That area will usually be near sit-down, and/or coffee-drinking, facilities, so it won't necessarily be nightmareish to wait there for a couple of hours. But you've got next to no way of reliably predicting when your friends will actually get through immigration, and when their bags will be available for collection (at CDG: almost always longer than you expect). And you'll be among hundreds going on thousands of people waiting for dozens of flights to arrive.

If you were hiring a car to drive off together to Burgundy or the Loire, an unavoidable pain. If you're all staying in Paris, a completely pointless exercise in unnecessary masochism when you could be sitting in a city-centre hotel.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 02:59 AM

The screens tell you if the flights are on time or not. Since it takes from 7 to 11 hours to fly to Europe from the United States, there is very little variation in arrival times announced once those planes are in the air. Flight leaving the US late almost always make up the lost time due to the jet stream and also because the schedules are now padded with plenty of extra time to cut down on compensation requests for late flights.

So if you arrive on time and the screen says that the second flight is arriving on time, just go to the customs exit of the second flight.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 03:23 AM

Very complete info on the CdG layout at http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/e...assagers/Home/
You might pick a spot where you can sit down, such as a cafe, and they can come to you, rather than you standing in a mob clustered around the gates exiting the secure luggage area.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 07:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>So if you arrive on time and the screen says that the second flight is arriving on time, . . . <<

Unfortunately you won't know if the second flight is on time til after you are through customs yourself. And there is always the possibility their flight will be on time or early even . . . and your could be delayed several hours. So what then?

I'd still plan on meeting at your hotel -- then it doesn't matter who gets where first.