Search

Traffic Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic Ticket

Two months after returning from a trip to Europe, we received a speeding ticket from a city in Switzerland. They tracked us down through the rental car agency. They claim we were going 9 km over the speed limit, but allow a 3 km forgiveness. So, for 6 km over they are charging over $100. My husband is not planning to pay it. I recommend paying it. Yes, we plan to return to Europe on future trips, and would want to rent a car again. What's your advice? Thank you.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM

If you don't pay it the chances are the hire company will just bill your credit card for it anyway. You sign an agreement to pay any fines you accrue, and they are within their rights to charge it to your credit card if the Swiss authorities pursue it with them if you do not pay it.
You may be lucky and get away with it, it almost certainly won't affect you hiring another car, but you broke the law and should pay the fine imho.

3km/h is knocked off to allow for any difference between your car's speedo and the speed check device (which will be accurate).

If you did this in the Netherlands the you could have to pay it the next time you arrived in the country. I'm not sure the Swiss have the same system but it's worth bearing in mind.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM

hetismij, is right on two points. You broke the law and you should pay the fine but it may not matter whether your husband wants to or not. The auto rental company may just charge your credit card. http://www.fodors.com/community/images/PostMessage.png
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Pay it or not - your choice. But it could come back to bite you if you don't. It is a legit charge. Whether or not your rental agency charges your cc depends on several things. But if they end up doing so, the charges could be higher because of extra administrative costs.

Be glad it was only $100 - there is a current thread about a $350 charge for illegal parking.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM

It is Switzerland.
They know about money.
Pay it.

(Don't say you haven't been warned.)
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the information and support for my position. An automatic charge will certainly solve the problem. Thank you all.