TAKING TWO WEEKS PLUS OF SHAMPOOS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on a pre-cruise and then two week cruise and in order to satisfy the TSA people I have bought TWO sets of the bottles (Walgreens is cheapest) and will fill these instead of having to take one large container of shampoo and one of conditioner. As a senior citizen (over 70) Im tired of being hassled by TSA agents who want their jollies opening my cosmetics and THEN not tightening them...and tossing out the end of containers that may have a fraction or smidge left. Last December a TSA opened and didnot close a new $45.00 container of makeup.(it leaked in the plastic bag) .opened up and turned around bottles of everything that were clearly marked by the cosmetic companies..
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it's a good idea/suggestion anyways to put your own products like shampoo, conditioner, woolite, face wash, etc. into smaller 2-3 oz. plastic containers. No sense taking along more than just what you need for the length of a trip. I think that's one of the most valuable "packing light" tip that some people overlook.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM
yk

I am pretty good at getting free shampoo & conditioner samples. The companies usually give them out for free when they come out with a new product (eg Dove, Pantene etc). For a short trip of 3-4 days, I just bring a few packets with me and toss them as I use them up.

Other free samples I get (from shopping online thru Sephora etc) are individual packets of moisturizer & eye cream. Again, these are great for a short trip.

The best thing I found recently is a Bausch & Lomb contact lens solution "flight pack" that is for sale at Boots Pharmarcy in the UK. It comes in a pair of bottles (both less than 100ml) and even comes with a ziplock bag and lens cases.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM
ira

Hi PM,

Is there something about your shampoo that keeps you from packing it in checked baggage?

They do sell shampoo in other countries and aboard ships.

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Many women like myself prefer our own shamp;oo and conditioner and the reason I cant packit all in one bag is that we need one smaller bag for the two nights in the hotel pre-cruise..-the other bags will be in the luggage locker. I wash my hair everyday (its very fine).
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but can't you pack just enough shampoo, etc. in a small container for the 2 nights pre-cruise (I assume this bag is for carryon) and then put larger containers in your checked luggage?
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM

I use the smaller bottles, but then I put each bottle into a small ziplock plastic baggy. Then they all go in my waterproof toiletry bag and then into my checked suitcase.

If one springs a leak, etc., it will only leak into that baggie and not get over everything else.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:17 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

You may want to check out minimus.biz. They have all sorts of travel sized products.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:18 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

www.minimus.biz

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM

Since the current liquid rules went into effect, I have started checking luggage for trips that last more than a week and a half. I pack a minimal amount of toiletries in my carry on to hold me over if my checked baggage gets delayed, and then put the main toiletries in my checked baggage. It has worked well for me.

I still put all my toiletries in small containers, but sometimes 3 ounces isn't quite enough for the trip and I don't like to spend time on vacation in the drug store looking for my products
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:50 AM

WOW! The only thing I notice in my luggage is an occasional not "been inspected". Never any liquids opened, or maybe I'm just lucky they closed them? I always check a suitcase except one trip.

I would take a small quantity enough for 3-4 days, and would buy something during the trip.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

NOVEMER MOON...you understand...a small toothpasgte doesnt do it for two people.. the large size will go in the luggage.. Im trying to be sooo good with consolidating..even bringing little samples in case I run out after two weeks plus..