Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Failsafe methods for packing liquids - any tips?

Sep 11th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Preparing for upcoming first non-liquid flights. Had developed my own failsafe system of packing "essential" liquid items, such as perfume, but it involved wrapping things in many layers of very absorbent socks, stuffing them into shoes, putting such items in my carry-on and not letting anybody else lay their paws on the bag.

Now, however, that will not be an option. Although there are a number of things that I can just buy when I arrive, there are some that I just have to take with me, so into the checked bag they go.

Anybody have recommendations for packing those potentially leaky items? A specific brand of zippered baggies that you swear by? A special tiny, padded hard-sided case to pack in the middle of the bag for carrying a perfume bottle (if no such thing exists, someone needs to patent this)? How about powdered perfume that you can reconstitute upon arrival?
Sep 11th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Tess

ttt for cantstayhome

Sep 11th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I prefer zipper bags that actually have a zipper -- the ones that only squish together don't work as well, in my experience. Maybe even go for the heavier duty freezer-type bags to avoid punctures.

Good luck!
Sep 11th, 2006, 11:47 AM
wow

I use "Easy Zipper" "Zip-loc" bags ( the large/freezer size). I double-bag everything & pack each liquid separately: body lotion, liquid deodorant, shampoo & conditioner. Then I pack them in the outside compartments of my check-in luggage. It's a pain but you want to make sure that if the liquid "explodes" during the flight & opens it will not get all over your clothes. A few weeks ago when I was travelling, I did all of this compulsive stuff w/ the "double Zipper Bags" & my body lotion popped open anyway(sometimes I tape the cap but not that time)...but the mess was contained! I try to pack containers that have just enough for the trip. Then I don't have to bring them back home.
Sep 11th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Where are you headed, cantstayhome? Bermuda, by any chance? I hope it is somewhere wonderful.
I laughed at your description of the old method, very similar to my own. My new rule is buy everything when I get there if it isn't an amenity of the hotel. For scent, I take a scented body cream instead of perfume and it works just fine. Wow's system is pretty impressive.
Sep 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Do you really need the perfume?

If yes, wrap in something absorbant, wrap in bubble wrap, place in a plastic container (like a kid's pencil box), rubber-band the box shut, hope for the best.

Sep 11th, 2006, 11:59 AM
wow

cmcfong....it's downright compulsive! But I prefer your "impressive" description!
Sep 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM

If you're taking any previously opened items, remember to squeeze some of the air out of the containers before packing, so as to allow the air to expand at higher altitudes (baggage compartments are pressurized to 8,000 feet, I believe). For most unopened items, the amount of air is small enough to not be an issue.
Sep 11th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Hi cantstayhome,

Just got back from my AZ trip (late last night/early this morning) and it's really not that bad. I packed all my liquids in my checked in luggage. Just make sure to double bag things and make sure that the zipped the opening of the inner bag is situated at the bottom of the outer bag. We bought some vodka for presents and those I bubble wrapped and taped then double bags it and all of these items are squeezed into and surrounded by clothing to reduce impact. I also would wrap a towel around it when possible so as to soak the liquid if it manages to escape the bubble wrap, double bags, etc.

All arrived safely. Good luck to you!
Sep 11th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hi cantstayhome, at my stepdaughter's suggestion I purchased a beige colored strong material type lunch container at Target. The top has zippers on 3 sides. I buy small bottles of what I use. I put them in a freezer zipper bag and put the bags in the lunch container. The container cost about $12.00. I put the container in my check-in luggage. I have done this the last several trips. If I run out of anything I just buy another small replacement. So far it has worked perfect.
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

All great suggestions. Like the taping the top of things - hadn't thought of that. Also like the plastic pencil box - I've got plenty of those lying around!

And, yes, I do need the perfume. Especially after an overnight flight.

wow - compulsive/obsessive works for me

Don't know about putting things in the outside pocket, though. Seems more likely that they'll get squished and therefore more likely to rupture. Think wrapping things, putting inside a pencil box, wrapping the pencil box in a towel, double zipper bagging, and placing in the middle of my packed items so that the box is surrounded and less subjected to outside pressure will be my m.o. on the next trip - a trial run! I'm serious about that, too, no joking!

cmcfong - scented lotion - good idea. after a slow couple of months with only car travel, off to AZ for a conference next month, then London in November to visit a friend. Wish it were Bermuda, but I have not yet planned a spring getaway, so come April that may be where we're headed.... I do still hope to do Bermuda for Christmas some year, but this is not the year. Next year perhaps.... Spring will be a group trip (including mom), so I may not be totally in control of selecting the destination. Fortunately, mom likes Bermuda, too
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Glad Bermuda is still on your list, but Arizona sounds great for now. Enjoy the trip!
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Cantstayhome, where are you staying in London and will you be going to the theatre? I will have to keep an eye out for your trip report on one of my favorite destinations. Have fun!
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

cmc - I'm not a big trip reporter - I always feel like everything I would have to say has already been said, but if we do anything really fun, I'll try to post.

We're staying with a friend - not sure exactly where his flat is, but a few blocks from Harrods, I'm told (my hubby's buddy from college). No theatre plans - just hanging out, eating out, going out (he's a big club-goer), assuming I can find a sitter there. Need to get calling on my network.

Never been to AZ, so looking forward to it. I have absolutely no control where the conference is held (I go every year), so it's fun to go to places I have not been.
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:45 PM

hi cantstayhome,
i have a Fail Safe method. at {wal-mart} you can buy a seal-a-meal for under $30. then anything you want can be sealed or vacuumed sealed. Nothing Leaks Out Ever!! great for freezing extra spaghetti sauce or meats purchased in larger quantity as well as travel use.
Sep 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

bear900-appreciated, but not sure it will pass security

virginia - is this a system kind of thing, or like those bags where you use a vacuum to suck all the air out?
Sep 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM
wow

Cantstayhome: The outside compartments on my "wheelie" are padded. Have never had a rupture problem! Sometimes I add a "cushioned" sock for extra padding....when my OCD is really bad!

I am going to check out Virginia's WalMart "Seal" suggestion! Good one!
Sep 11th, 2006, 03:18 PM

What about pressured cans of stuff -- like shave cream, hair mousse etc? Any safety ideas on those?

Debi
Sep 11th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Oh c'mon stayathomeorelse,

You Can DO it....! ><

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO