Solo travel Rome: February 2008

Aug 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Solo travel Rome: February 2008

Does anyone have any tips fpr solo travel to Rome in February 2008? I will be on a very limited budget and am looking for low cost accommodation. How cold does it get in February? I live in Rio de Janeiro where February tempreatures are frequently in the 40 C mark.
Tks
Jonathan
Aug 28th, 2007, 04:59 AM

You should check out travel books to Rome for ideas. Also, a great site for hotel ideas with reviews is tripadvisor.com. Hey, this site is great but you should also expand your horizons. Can use this as well. Focusing back again on Fodors, check out one of their travel books. I know that for France, their daughter wrote a book that I'm using for a trip to Paris.

Oh, and you might want to consider connecting with some kind of a tour group that allows allows you time to venture out on your own. Just a thought.

Good luck!
Aug 28th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Jonathan- I would cross-post this same question on the Europe board, since it's as much about Rome as about traveling solo.

Another forum for budget traveling tips is at www.lonelyplanet.com. The forum is called The Thorn Tree, and there is a western Europe branch. Lots of backpackers, students, and people who travel on the cheap there.
Aug 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Click on my name and you can read my trip reprt about a solo trip to ROme last November.
Oct 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
dat

Check out www.vrbo.com. I booked an apartment in Paris last February with vrbo.com, and it was absolutely wonderful! I highly recommend the website if you want the full european experience (and will also usually cut down on costs).
Oct 11th, 2007, 06:36 AM

I agree with dat. If you have a week, renting an apartment is definitely the way to go ... and cheaper. Search for rome vacation rentals and you should find tons. Craigslist is another I've used. Under vacation rentals for the location you're looking for. Have a blast!
Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
nia

I'm going to Rome this coming December. I'm also looking for low cost accomodations. Here's a very useful website for me: www.hostelz.com

Winter in Rome is somewhere between mid-30's to mid 50's range (in degrees Celsius), so if you pack a really good waterproof coat, an umbrella, hat & gloves, you will be fine. Hope this helps!
Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
nia

Opps sorry! I meant degrees Farenheit in my last post. I checked on weather.com
Oct 26th, 2007, 04:26 AM

I used the site www.cross-pollinate.com to book B&B's, apartments, and guest houses in Italy on my solo trip this month. What I liked is that they charge PER PERSON which sometimes comes out in favor of a solo traveler. For example, I got a fantastic apartment in a great location in Venice for only about $100/night - upper end of my budget, but for Venice in October, a steal compared to the hotels I was seeing. The same place for two people would have been not 2X but quite a bit more than I paid.

Search this Thread