Search

Solo Travel Groups

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo Travel Groups

Are there any particular groups that you are familiar with. I was looking at some websites this morning. One in particular seemed to have alot to offer, but it would be nice to have some personal experience. The name of this group was O Solo Mio Singles Travel. Anyone heard of it? Or do you have personal experience with other groups that cater to singles. I'm not looking for a dating service. Just people to hang out with when none of my friends want to travel.

TIA for any info!!!
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Hi Sally, You don't say where you want to go, or if you even have any particular destination in mind. I would encourage you to jump in and don't be afraid to go by yourself. The first time is tough, but once you become a solo traveler, you're likely to become a convert.

A great way to meet others, when you start to feel a little alone is to hook up with daytrips or half day tours. For example, in London, London Walks, is an inexpensive way to spend time with other travelers.

You will find that as a solo traveler, you're far likely to be meeting other people than you might if you're traveling with a friend or partner. Somehow you are just more approachable.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cat. I've done some domestic travel alone....not alot but a little. I love to travel in Europe, but have never done that alone. I think doing it with a group the first time anyway, might be a good thing for me. Believe me, I know there are definite advantages to traveling alone. Primarily, doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. I can deal with that!!!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 07:33 AM

When my best friends took an overseas assignment in England it was just after my husband had died. They wanted me to come for a visit and I didn't hesitate. I went to Paris for a week, took a long weekend in Brussels and then spent the next week with them in England.

Although I was mildly intimidated about being alone, especially dining, I found that I loved solo travel. If I was on my way to the Arch de Triumphe but changed my mind and wanted to go anyplace else, there was no negotiation -- I did what I wanted to do.

Also, I found that especially in Paris, many people eat solo and most people -- couples and family were very friendly to me. Because I remember how much I appreciated their friendliness I always reach out to other solo travelers.

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I saw this in Travel + Leisure magazine. I have no personal experience with them and haven't even looked at their website. But I did think of this post when I saw the ad:
www.gutsywomentravel.com
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:58 PM

I am not being critical..but why do so many solo travellers seek web sites where they can meet people to travel with them? I'd have thought it defeated the prupose of being a solo traveller.....*grins*
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:50 AM

hey I'm with you Mitch, a big fan of solo travel, i.e. alone- lol. I don't even understand the "how do I meet people when I'm traveling" desire. But people wonder and do ask us these questions, so we try to help.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Heard of the word oxymoron?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:58 PM

I think some people find themselves solo by default but don't really want to travel alone. Maybe they haven't tried. They're looking for ways to connect with other like minded people. Because it's different than we may think doesn't make it wrong.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:21 AM

I'm glad I just found this Fodor's forum today. I am a single, female and very much have been wanting to do some real travel, but haven't done so because of the fear of traveling alone. I've never done any single travel groups, but think that's the best bet for me. Unfortunately, I just read bad feedback about a single group I was just going to sign up with, so I don't know where to look now. I did check O Solo Mio, but the trips I looked at did not include airfare and their prices were a little higher. I don't mind paying higher prices for a high class hotel, but it didn't even include air-that's was odd. Any assistance is appreciated.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Peregrine, Intrepid and Gecko are pretty good. Google for them. You could always join me in Cambodia and Vietnam in April *grins*.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:59 AM

garden, A couple ideas...

Why not try a trip solo (i.e., really on your own)? Just pick a simple itinerary and give it a try. To me that's the way to get your feet wet. Each trip you build confidence and it is definitely cheaper than an organized tour (not to mention you get to do what you want instead of get up early in the morning and get on a bus with a bunch of strangers!). Just fly to Venice, Amsterdam, or Paris for a week (those were cities I found especially easy solo).

That said, if you want a tour, I'd say forget about the single-specific ones but find one for your general age and interests (like one that focuses on biking, cooking, hiking, art, history, wine, whatever) or simply a company that gets a good mix of ages.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM

I have elected to travel alone against the protestations of my many friends. I have found that it is a respit from the demands or wishes from any others and the decisions are all mine.
choises of where I go, eat, shop, sleep, etc are left up to me without compromise. My time spent closer to home is often with groups of friends and this is a break from that routine. Adventures occur when traveling alone that would not occur when traveling with another. I have found that ABC Tours (website available) has been excellent. While there is a single supplement, there is the advantage of group rates for the flight and hoteland the option to relate to others by choice. On some of the trips taken with this company I have not mingled and on others I have mixed with the other travelers. The trip costs are well within reason. I have found that planning a trip myself and paying without the tour company group rate was more problematic and often times more expensive. Fodor's is a terrific source of imformation! chr
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Chr, fyi, I did book actually through ABC Tours I guess about a month ago, so I'm off to Italy in September.

Best to all.