Passport - Can I get away with this?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I obtained my passport when I was still single. The first page of the passport has my maiden name on it. I have since gotten married and divorced .

When I got married I had it chaned to my married name, so now there is a note on the last page of the passport that says it was changed to my married name.

Now that I'm back to my maiden name, which is what is on the passport anyway, do you think I can get away without changing it back?

All this would do is probably add another note on the last page saying that it has been changed back to my maiden name. However, as it already has my maiden name on the first page, how likely is it that I can have problems because of that note in the back?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for all your help.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 09:23 AM

I would change it to be safe. May cause problems when you attempt to renew. Why take the chance.

Check with the Passport Office. http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM

Hi lejlak, when you go the State Departments website which Budman gave you in his post you will find that the State Department no longer adds amendments to ones passport. They issue a new passport. All information is on the State Dept. website.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Ben

My passport had my maiden name because I've never legally changed my last name (after almost 20 years of marriage). Having been in a situation a couple of years ago pleading with an airline to let me on my international flight because my airline ticket had my husband's and children's last name (I use my husband's last name socially and forgot to tell the booking agent to book under my maiden name), I had my passport changed to cover my full name along with my husband's last name. Only my children's distress at the thought of Mom being left behind convinced the airline to let me on the flight.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:24 AM

Yes, you definately need to get a new passport. What matters the most is the bar code. When the code is scanned at airports, on trains, and at border crossings, the ammended name will read. This has caused me numerous problems travelling on an ammended passport (like yours with maiden name on front and married name printed on back and in the system). Tickets purchased MUST have the same name as the passport holder (name in the system). Hope this helps!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Everyone needs just one name - besides the obvious of ticket and passport matching, you can also run into trouble if passport does not match credit card, drivers license when you are trying to buy things, check into hotels, etc.

While you are waiting for your new passport, it would be a really good time to check your other items - bank accounts, credit cards, license and registration - I know it is a pain, but do it all at once and get it over with. Most (not passport) can be done on-line.