Question for more frequent travellers about luggage

Old May 13th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for more frequent travellers about luggage

My wife and I are heading to Scotland in September, and we are going to stop in Stirling on the way from Glasgow to Edinburgh. I had planned on spending the night in Stirling and leaving our luggage at the hotel while we checked out the town, but now I'm thinking I'd rather stay in Edinburgh and just spend the day in Stirling. The problem is, we obviously will have some luggage with us, so I don't know what to do with it that day.

I'm wondering if anyone has tips for something we can do with our luggage for a day so that we can tour the town, pick up our luggage later, and then leave town. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are you getting to Stirling? If you're driving, the luggage can stay in the car, although it's not the safest thing to do. (You're better off with a trunk than a hatchback, in that case.) If you're taking the train, ask on the Europe board whether the station in Stirling has a left luggage facility. It won't be free, but it will be safe. Otherwise you'll need to pack light, lol!
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I hadn't heard of "left luggage" before, but I was able to look it up.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/stg/details.html

"Left Luggage... No"

I'm taking a train into town, but I actually considered renting a car for the day and just leaving my luggage in it while I walked around town (no need to drive in Stirling), but it's a minimum of $47 USD to get a car for the day, and that's just a ridiculous amount of money to pay just to throw my luggage somewhere. This should not be this hard.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM

It's a forlorn hope if the train station doesn't have a left luggage operation, but you could see if there's a bus station with one. National Express, maybe? And do ask on the Europe board, you're more likely to find someone who's been there on that board. Last resort would be to ask a hotel or cafe if you could leave your luggage with them.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ditto - Please ask on the Europe board. You'll get a lot more help there.

I'm no expert on Scotland (putting it mildly) but generally speaking, a hotel is your best bet if the train station does not offer a left luggage service.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM

BTW, did you look at renting a car from Enterprise? They operate in the UK, pick you up and drop you off, and have very good rates.
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I will not rent a car and try to drive on the wrong side of the road. Not only is driving on the left side scary, but I'm 6'9" and I'm pretty sure there isn't a car in England that I could fit into.
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:36 AM

'but I'm 6'9" and I'm pretty sure there isn't a car in England that I could fit into.'

It is England not Lilliput. We also have people who are over 6' living here you know who do actually drive a car. America does not have the monopoly on 'big' cars.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:02 PM

I guess you've never seen Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM

This local government website indicates that the bus station in Stirling does have left luggage lockers:

http://www.stirling.gov.uk/index/ser...busstation.htm