Search

Places you could have EASILY visited but did not

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places you could have EASILY visited but did not

and now regret.

Like many of us I have a long list. For me near the top is Trieste. I passed it by twice driving to then Yugoslavia but never stopped. I could even see it across the water from my table in a Piran waterfront restaurant. The June issue of National Geographic features Trieste and now I am sorry I missed it. It seems like just the kind of city I would enjoy.

How about you?
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Pisa comes to mind. Drove by without stopping.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:23 AM

My list would take too long.
I would not have visited New Orleans if my three travel buddies hadn't voted to visit one extra long weekend. We usually just do an annual roadtrip but every few years did a splurge.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I’m more likely to regret places I felt I had to fit in to my itinerary versus those I missed. There was a time I was a very ambitious traveler because a part of me knew “now or never.” I’m glad I ticked off most of the places I had a really strong desire to see. I’m not ambitious for travel at all any more.

We had dinner with international friends last week and the conversation turned to places we might like to visit that we haven’t been to or those we’d be inclined to re-visit. Between the four of us our lists were small. They’d like to see the Great Wall (we’ve been and loved it) and we’d like to go to Japan someday (my husband has been but I have not).

Both of the women agreed we used to really want to see India but that urge has passed as we’ve gotten older and less inclined to risk getting sick abroad. Both men have been there and said no need to return.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:26 AM

Hawaii . . passed thru the airport a hundred times but never left the airport other than to sleep at a nearby hotel during a layover . . .buggers!
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I lived in Hawaii for several years. Some would say you didn't miss much and others would disagree. What I do know is that it isn't "like it used to be" not surprisingly.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:38 AM

There is nowhere I can think of that I could have visited whilst travelling and didn't, apart from the Lalique museum, in WIngen sur Moder which we couldn't visit as it was too hot to leave the dog in the camper. Maybe I'll still make it there though, as it isn't so far away.
There are places I would have loved to visit but won't. I have accepted that we won't be travelling far any more.
I would have loved to have gone with DH on some of his business trips, but didn't/couldn't. I perhaps regret not going to Colombia with him, but the thought of all that time on my own in cattle class while he was up front was enough to put me off going.
I regret not going away on my own once in a while, leaving him to deal with life at home. He had it too easy.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:41 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Second generation Angeleno and I never set foot on Catalina Island.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:47 AM

Portugal..............we drove from Bordeaux to Segovia and, at one point, were 20 miles from the border......our "rigid" travel schedule didn't allow much deviation, so we just kept going. Very regretful...foolish choice......wish I could do it again.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:55 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Travel Tips
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 08:10 AM

I cannot think of any place because I usually plan my trip pretty well and make a list of places I do not want to miss that are on the trip.

The closest I came to not see a place that was on the list , was when I was leaving the Bran Castle ( Dracula ) in Romania.

We were on our way from Bran to Brasov and the Rasnov Fortress was on the list.

Now from Bran to Ranov is 7 miles and it is on the way to Brasov ( which is 18 miles away.)

We were going to have lunch in Brasov , and having just spent several hours at the Bran Castle we decided to forego Rasnov..............

then at the last minute we turned into Rasnov to see the Fortress. ...... Good move, Thank Goodness !!!

On the highway approaching Rasnov in Romania, we were going to bypass the town and the Fortress.

As we got closer, we decided to turn in.

What a quaint little place this was. I took this picture through the car windshield !! We spent an hour at the Fortress. I would have regretted not seeing this place.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 08:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cordoba. Made it to Granada and Seville but couldn't find time for Cordoba.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 10:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Basingstoke, now that space a travel is not happening and no clue when it will again my husband is sad we never went to Japan. So many flights from the west coast. Maybe we still have time. I fall into a rut and love doing what I know I love best but should try something that scares me a bit.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 11:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
When we were in Jordan we did not go to the Dead Sea.
Buenos Aires- skipped Iguazu Falls for more time in the city. But we actually liked this decision, just not what most travelers choose.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jul 21st, 2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 12:46 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Canada. We lived in North Dakota for a few years, and I regret not getting up to Canada while we were relatively close.

Never made it to Bali either, although we lived in Indonesia and then later Perth, Australia, where we referred to Bali as a suburb of Perth (it was easier and faster to get to Bali than to most other places in Australia).

Don't regret that miss one single bit though.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
When we were in Jordan we did not go to the Dead Sea.
Buenos Aires- skipped Iguazu Falls for more time in the city. But we actually liked this decision, just not what most travelers choose.
--------------------------------

HappyTrvlr: I can certainly see your regret,

I was in Jordan 2 years ago and the Dead Sea is so much better on the Jordan side.

I am glad I saw Iguazu Falls, Took the short flight from Buenos Aires !

Old Jul 21st, 2021, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Melnq8
Canada. We lived in North Dakota for a few years, and I regret not getting up to Canada while we were relatively close.

Never made it to Bali either, although we lived in Indonesia and then later Perth, Australia, where we referred to Bali as a suburb of Perth (it was easier and faster to get to Bali than to most other places in Australia).

Don't regret that miss one single bit though.
-----------------------------

You can still come down after August 9th ( Driving)
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 03:40 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Canada is still on my radar Percy, but a helluva road trip from Colorado.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 04:47 PM

"Buenos Aires- skipped Iguazu Falls for more time in the city. But we actually liked this decision, just not what most travelers choose."

We made the same choice, HT, and don't regret it.

We didn't visit San Gimignano on our first trip to Italy. We drove there and drove around for what seemed like ages but could never find a place to park so we just left. To be honest, if a town is that crowded with tourists I'm not sure I want to visit. I know that sounds snobby of me and yes, I know I'm a tourist too. It isn't the tourist part that bothers me, it's the idea of the overwhelming crowd.

I was sorry we didn't have more time in Japan because of would have like to see cities other than Tokyo but we had just spent quite a while in Seoul and had limited time left.

And Ireland. We landed in Dublin, spent one night there and then drove straight across the country to Connemara. We spent a week there, one night in Galway City and then came back to Dublin for a week. All of that was lovely but I regret not seeing more of Ireland. I definitely want to go back there.

And finally, Newfoundland. We've been to Canada's Maritime provinces several times but never to Newfoundland. I'd love to do that. Maybe next year.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 04:51 PM

Oh, and we lived about halfway between NY and Philadelphia for three years. Went to NY just about every week. Never once went to Philadelphia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -