Search

need to get away and unwind

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need to get away and unwind

I am 40-something who has had a stressful few months. I am looking for a luxury resort / spa with activities such as hiking, kayaking, etc. for a 5-7 day getaway in August. I want the massage and hot soak, but will get bored if there are no outdoor activities.
I really love the northwest and would like to find someplace special to escape to. I will be travelling single - I've already told my friends and family that I will not be taking the cel phone with me and would like to find a place that doesn't cater to families and couples. Any suggestions?
I'm really open to anywhere you can fly to within 8 hours without too much trouble.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM

I would choose the Ventana Inn and Resort in Big Sur, California.
Friends have enjoyed the Ripplewood Resort in the same area.

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Check out Conde Naste Traveler magazine. They recently had a pull out guide titled "Spa World, A Global Guide" with lots of suggestions. I think it was with the June issue but maybe you can find the info on their website?

I live in Seattle and love the Pacific NW but can't think of anything here that fits what you seek (doesn't mean there isn't a place, but I sure can't think of one).

Another place I know of is nearby Guadalajara Mexico which is a good solo retreat but it is not luxury level.

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM

here's one from Sunset Magazine today
www.rancholapuerta.com
not cheap but looks amazing. seems more about healthful living and food than activities.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Lake Louise, Alberta Canada
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM

I went to Rancho La Puerta last year and loved it! There is a whole hiking program there and lots of activities like boxing, spin, dance, tai chi, yoga, pilates, etc. You can do as much or as little as you want. There were lots of singles there. Mostly women, though. Great spa services and the food is awesome. Definitely not stressful and lots of fun.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Abby43~ Thanks for posting. Great to hear from someone who's been there. I was just judging from a small blurb, not even an article and it was hard to tell what was what (except that it looked WONDERFUL!).
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 01:14 PM

Seconding Lake Louise.
or Whistler BC
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:24 PM

Rancho La Puerta is worth every dime. It has an extensive hiking program and the people there were so nice. Most of the participants are from NY, CA, Chicago, and Seattle (at least my week this was the predominant case). Awesome holiday!
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Lake Louise is spectacular and I have hiked Banff and Yoho before.
Ranch la Puerto also sounds perfect.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:37 AM
kit

Let us know what you decide, trvlsing. I could have written your post! RLP looks amazing...I am considering it. I am also thinking of the Monterey peninsula so I can kayak and bikeride...both are appealing to me right now...

Maybe Maine and Acadia...I just know i need to decide quick!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Everyone should go to Rancho La Puerta. they do everything for you but the actual exercise. Food is great, beautiful surroundings, nice people, great classes. You can do as much or as little as you want. You can be left alone or find people to talk to. It's so easy. I loved it and want to go back!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Lake Louise is really spectacular if anyone hasn't been before.
My top three options, for very different reasons (as you may gatehr from the list) are currently Las Vegas (probably at Red Rock) Vegas, California at a Winery/Spa and Santorini Greece (maybe the Vedema Resort).
WOuld love to hear more comments and impressions.

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:48 PM

Try Miraval Resort in Arizona. It is amazing. I have been there three times, although it's been a couple of years since I've been able to schedule a trip back. Now Oprah has featured it on her show so it's a little more difficult to get a reservation. It is less expensive June - September due to the weather. Tons of activities, or you can do nothing at all but sit by the pool and get your daily spa service. I've also gone there alone, and it was no problem to be a single guest with them. www.miravalresort.com
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 06:55 PM
JRP

I believe Las Vegas offers any and all options. Bellagio and Four Seasons have excellent spas and you can decide you level of anonymity or involvement beyond that.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 09:24 PM

Just returned from my 2nd trip to Canadian Rockies. Our hotels included the Banff Springs and Chateau Lake Louise. See several mentions of Lake Louise here and wanted to interject that the Banff Spring is the hotel with the amazing spa. I didn't go (preferred to hike and go to their really nice pools) but it looked very nice. I don't remember LL have anything comparable although there are many great outdoor activities. Banff and LL are close so you could stay at one and go to other for spa and other activities.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Have a look at Coastal Trek Resort, on Vancouver Island, Canada.
"Our all inclusive health spa resort in beautiful British Columbia, Canada is a place where like-minded people come to escape contemporary pressures, connect with nature, and embrace a brighter future that includes fitness, balance, and nutritional awareness."
http://www.coastaltrekresort.com/