Search

Long post for advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long post for advice

Hi everyone,

I just finished reading the "shy college student" thread and was really impressed by the thoughtful advice that was given to the OP, so I've been motivated to sign up and ask my question. I'm in a somewhat similar position as the previous questioner - I wouldn't describe myself as shy, but I'm definitely an introverted, very inexperienced traveler.

I'm hoping to ask for more concrete recommendations, though. I'll go ahead and describe my situation, and then I can answer any questions you all may have. I am a senior in college in North Carolina, and now at the end of my university career I'm discovering that I have sort of wasted my opportunities to discover travel during college. My family has traveled to some extent locally in the US (ie Washington, DC, NYC, local beaches, and a trip out west years ago to see the national parks), but that's about it. I have a job lined up beginning in July in NYC, and after it starts I will have very little vacation time to travel, at least for 2-3 years. So I'm looking to travel now when I can. After graduation, I am planning on taking an extended (3-4 weeks) trip in either Europe or Latin America, but right now I'm looking to plan a shorter trip over spring break, which is March 8-17.

Obviously I don't want to do the typical college spring break trip (ie drinking nonstop and lying on the beach all day); I'd like to go to an interesting destination either with historical relevance, a unique/different culture, or really nice sightseeing. I know that's a pretty open-ended description, but I think that's a reflection of my inexperience traveling and not really knowing what possibilities exist. Every time I read about something new, I want to go there.

I like to take in new cities, so I've considered flying to one of the big European cities and just walking around and sightseeing for the week, but I'm concerned about the price...even if I stay in hostels and live cheaply (which, again, I'm a little apprehensive about my first time traveling because I'm not sure I want to get stuck staying in a 4-person dorm the whole time since I am a little shy and would prefer some privacy) I'm guessing a European trip will cost well over $1000 including airfare. A place in Mexico or Latin America would probably be a lot cheaper, but I don't know as much about what the options are like. I'd also love to see a smaller, more "authentic" city - provided that it is fairly accessible and the cost to get there would not be prohibitive - particularly because I don't love crowds and I know I'm going to face that in any big city. Looking across the net, I came across Guanajato, Mexico, which seems like kind of a mid-sized, non-touristy, culturally significant city that I could stay at cheaply...but really, I find a different destination like this every few days. I guess I'm looking for someone to say "Go here, I went here when I had no experience traveling and it was really cool but not the typical tourist-filledexperience. Also, I've heard that there are some really nice out of the way beaches in mexico/central america where you can stay cheaply, and don't have many tourists...but again, I don't know much about my options.

On the other hand, I could stay in the US, and have no problem with this if someone can suggest a great destination... I live in Raleigh/Durham NC but can go anywhere in the country. I've considered the grand canyon, one of the other national parks like red rocks, arches, zion, etc., or a city like San Francisco...but I am open to completely anything and welcome unusual suggestions. The only other caveat is that I'd prefer to go somewhere where I don't have to rent a car - so either a city that is walkable or has public transportation, or somewhere that is accessible by bus/train from an airport (or somewhere within driving distance of Durham). My only apprehension about staying in the US is that I'm only really going to have 2 chances to travel before I start working, and don't want to "waste" either trip, given that these are going to be my only chances to "see the world" for a while. I realize that the USA is extremely diverse, though, and I would probably save some money by going somewhere domestically that I could apply towards my summer trip - so again, I open myself to your suggestions and opinions.

Finally, the money issue. I've been on scholarship for 4 years here at school so I have quite a bit of money saved up, but I am cheap by nature and would prefer not to blow a ton of money - especially because of my plans for a summer trip.

Reading back over my post, it's pretty scattered and I apologize for that; hopefully you'll can give me some structured advice. Thanks so much!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
First, don't feel bad about wanting to go everywhere new you read about. That happens to most of us. Some of my best trips started with a photo in a magazine or travel brochure that made me say "I gotta see that".

Money will be your biggest challenge, I think. Honestly anywhere in Europe or even Mexico for that matter will likely cost at least $1000 for a week counting airfare, budget lodging, and food. Mexico can be cheap once you get there but airfare is plenty expensive, no cheaper than Europe likely.

I would start by going to a website that will give you an overview (I use Expedia.com for initial research) and putting in your dates to get samples of the cost for plane tickets. Try to get to Guanajato, for example. Or maybe Playa del Carmen (fly into Cancun) or Puerto Vallarta (fly direct into PVR)... Just because it is spring break and you go to a beach, doesn't mean you need to drink too much and do nothing! You can find plenty of "culture" and get off the beaten path in these places. So price those 3 in Mexico.

Then I suggest pricing Paris and Amsterdam for a plane ticket. Both of those cities are fairly easy for a first time trip to Europe. And both are well suited to just showing up and wandering around for a week. You will see so much, soak up the culture and atmosphere, and it is a great way to get your feet wet without being in over your head imo.

Within the US, I would recommend perhaps someplace like San Francisco. But honestly, it's so expensive there, I think you would get more bang for your buck going to Europe or Mexico. Plus a more dynamic experience that you are seeking.

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Great job on providing the details! It makes it much easier to provide suggestions.

Suze has a lot of knowledge on Mexico, so I will leave that to her.

In the US, I also would say San Francisco. It's a great time of year to visit and there's plenty to do. However, it is pretty expensive even without a rental car. San Diego might be an option also although it will likely run about the same as San Francisco.

You might also try Toronto. There's plenty to do for a week and the public transportation is very good. Ottawa might be an option also - if you like ice skating, they have the longest outdoor skating rink in the world (Rideau Canal). Those would be a bit colder than Mexico or South America, but you wouldn't be in a "spring break" location.

The one thing about cities is that hotels in the downtown area will usually be more expensive than if you find one just outside the area. If the public transportation is good, you will spend some time in commute, but you can save $25-$75 a night on the room.

If you enjoy and/or are willing to do a bit of planning (heresy, I know Suze ), you can get a pretty good idea of how much a trip will cost you.

To gage how much you have to spend, look at your big trip first. Look at what airfare is running, and do some searches on lodging in the areas you want to stay. Add those up for the time you want to go. For the rest, figure out a "per diem" rate you want to spend. I base mine on the government's ($40 per day - $5 breakfast, $12 lunch, $18 dinner, $5 miscellaneous) and adjust it a bit for "activities" and souvenirs to $60/day. You may find that you can adjust the length of your trip a bit to fit your wallet (i.e., 5 days instead of 7 to save $300).
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:24 PM

luke7777~ That's a bit of an inside joke above about my planning technique. Toedtoes knows from my previous posts, while I travel quite a bit I rarely plan beyond getting the plane tickets and hotel reservations.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Also once you have a few destinations in mind, I encourage you to read and post on the other branches here, like under Europe or Latin America. While there are a few of us here on Solo Traveler happy to help you, you will find a much greater readership on the other destination forums.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your spring break coincide with Easter? University student residences in the UK, and possibly other places in Europe, rent rooms during vacation time, which would be over Easter there. That way you would have a single room, although poss. sharing bathroom & kitchen, in a great location. London and Edinburgh would be good places to look. I've stayed in LSE student res's and can recommend them.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:30 AM

London is a good suggestion because you can likely get decent plane fares from the east coast US nonstop into Heathrow. If the student housing thing could work, it just might be able to fit into your budget. Many museums and sites in London have free admission.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Hi Luke7777

I'd recommended checking out tour operator web sites. They usually have 1 week city stays that include air and hotel for around $500. This includes cities in Europe and South America. Asia is a little more expensive, but you could probably still get air and hotel for less than $1,000. The hotels on these types of trips won't be 5 star or even 4 star but they should be clean and, unlike hostels, you'll have a private room.

You'll want to look for "independent tours." This means that you won't be on an escourted type of program. All that will be provided is the airfare, hotel, often times airport-hotel transfers, and sometimes breakfast at the hotel.

A catch to notice is that the price is usally based on specific dates and a specific departure city, so you may have to look around for awhile before you find something that will work with your schedule.

Also, these are usally priced based on a double room and the price will go up a little for a single.

Despite all of that, I think it would be worth a look. You may be able to find a better deal than you could put together on your own.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:58 PM

luke, regardless of what you decide... apply for your passport asap. that is the single best piece of advice I can contribute here!!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:16 AM

the only recommendation i have at this point is volunteer. there are wonderful volunteer opportunities for college students during the spring break. i know a few kids who either did something for their local church, went on a mission trip to a third world country or even habitat for humanity. some i've even known spent their time in a wildlife refuge in south africa. this is one of the few times that you will have this opportunity. costs can vary but you will find people who vary by age, geographic experience and life experience.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:46 PM

I started solo travel with Cosmos tours. It's about the best low cost tour company around. They are very affordable and offer great itineraries. Even if you don't want to spend money on the optional tours you'll still have a great time, learn how to travel and meet some really great people. They don't include many meals but if you've bus toured you know you aren't missing much, no matter how much the tour is. I've used them many times and loved each trip.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 06:39 PM

if u decide not to volunteer. another suggestion is travel around the united states, canada or mexico on the cheap and stay in a hostel. even if u r shy, get over it. my experience as a lone traveler is that u meet more people staying in a hostel than staying in a tour group. tour groups tend to be older travelers and u r not an older traveler. think about backpacking as an option but as u travel u realize that u have to be much more engaging if u want to get the most out of ur experience. ur trip is what u make it.

sorry if i sound insensitive and i hope u have a truly wonderful trip. fyi the first hostel i stayed in was in boston and i had a great time meeting people from all over the world. i even was invited to a cool concert if i stayed longer.