Reload this Page >

single girls: where to go in mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 12:07 PM
jamie

does anyone have a destination suggestion for two twenty-something single girls in mexico?<BR>NOT CANCUN ACAPULCO PUERTO VALLARTA

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Dr. Davis

Isla Mujeres is awesome !! fly into Cancun and a 20 minute easy boat ride across... NOTHING like Cancun.....very cool..also called the Island of women..when ya going.....Dr.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Jean Valjean

It depends a lot on what you want to see or do.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Ret

Agree with Jean - it would help to know what you are looking for, and what your interests are.<BR><BR>Some basic suggestions: Mexico City is fun - easy to get around, lots to see and do, a microcosm of Mexico. You can stay in the center (Zocalo) and be right in the middle of a huge, crazy, busy city - or head to the various outskirts - I liked Coyoacan, which is mainly a residential area but has a nice/hip downtown of its own and is home to the Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, and Leon Trotsky museums. Mexico City also means easy daytrips to the Temples of the Sun &amp; Moon at Teotihuacan and to Puebla (smaller city and centre for silver industry) and Cuernavaca (good place to see colonial architecture). Oaxaca is good for scenery and food/drink, and easily combined with Mexico City if you have a bit more time (let's say a week or more). Veracruz, on the coast, has a bit of everything and is a good place to relax. <BR><BR>Merida is an alternative to Cancun - a great jumping-off point for Yucatan ruins and history/culture, and a nice and non-touristy city on its own, with a bit of a European flavour. Isla Mujeres, as Dr D said, and San Cristobal de las Casas, are also excellent in that general area. <BR><BR>Could go on and on about good places in Mexico, but those are a few ideas...

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 03:00 AM
Ron

I was sailing around the world and never got past Mexico! Six years later I now spend half the year (summer) in San Diego and the other half (winter) in Mazatlan with my Mexican wife!<BR><BR>If you want to stay away from the touristy places (Cancun, Cabo San Lucas) try the &quot;silver cities&quot;: San Miguel de Allende (fabulous!), Guanajuato (intriguing), Zacatecas and Queretaro. The only touristy city on the coast I would even consider is Puerto Vallarta, but later -- it is recovering from a recent hurricane. Buena suerte!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 03:21 AM
Ron

Whoops. Really messed up my email address (must be the early hour!). Can't believe I didn't mention Chiapas (San Cristobal de las Casas), Oaxaca and, my home, Mazatlan! The first two are hard to reach, but my favorites for meeting indigenous cultures and the latter is an under-rated alternative to the other coastal tourist traps. Stay in the &quot;Gold Zone&quot; at Playa Mazatlan or the other hotel one block inland from Playa Mazatlan (whose name escapes me at the moment -- early hour, etc.).

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 06:05 PM

If you are for an urban ride, try Mexico City, the Manhattan of Latin America. They do have it all. You could enjoy history, culture, arts, and everything else with a New World sophistication twist. Just be prepared for the huge poverty level the city has. Yet has stricking wealth.