Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Last Minute Vacation Ideas for Solo traveler?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Worldly Travelers:
I will unexpectedly be able to take some time off from work in either June or July - up to 10 days. I have never traveled solo before (except for work) so I am thinking some sort of group would be good - though small - otherwise I am afraid I might not push myself sufficiently to get a full and memorable travel experience. Budget is around $5,000. I was thinking a hiking tour of Italy, but the airfare seemed prohibitive. Sifting through the available options (few) at this late date is difficult on my own. I am an active, 50 year old woman. Some hiking or physical activity would be nice, am not much for days on end at the beach. Any and all suggestions for destinations and/or tour groups would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:31 PM

Costa Rica? Peru? Thailand? Overseas Adventure Travel tour group has trips to all of those. Small groups - max 16.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:35 PM

Lots of singles enjoy hiking or biking tours, or even horseback riding tours, here and abroad. Vermont Bike Tours springs to mind - they have both hiking and biking, domestic and foreign, and have been in business for many many years. My company gives a VBT trip as a retirement gift and everyone always loves it.

There's also a stable in Vermont that does tours with their Icelandic horses - if you like to ride. You can even do that as a novice rider.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 02:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love a beach vacation and have done these many times solo. This may or may not appeal to you but they are inexpensive and extremely easy to plan. I've been to Puerto Vallarta many times, also Cabo San Lucas, and La Paz in Mexico. And lately have been spending time in Honolulu/Waikiki Hawaii.

I'm not a group or tour person and have no problem making a great time on my own alone. Just because you go to a tropical place doesn't mean you have to veg out on the beach all day every day!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM

That said, I could also *easily* go to Europe for 10-days on $5000 total budget. I've been solo and had great times in Amsterdam, Venice, and Paris (for example).

Where are you flying from that airfare to Europe is "prohibitive"?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 03:49 PM

Try Gutsy Women Travel Website.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I have logged onto Adventure Travel and VBT, both have some great trips - will try Gutsy Women next. I would be flying out of the D.C. area. The packages make the airfare much more affordable. Booking a nice small group hiking or biking tour separately then adding in $1500 airfare eats up the budget pretty quickly. Thanks again - great forum and a wealth of information.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM

dont give up on Itlay
besides the italian based hiking groups there is one in england HF holidays that hikes all over the globe.
you hike all day and have a meal together and stay in hotels on the route.
there are many air fares from the usa for under $1,000.

if you want to be more independent plan on a few town with day hikes. stay in convents or monasteries use monasterystays.com they will book everything for you

i travel solo by train in italy every year and have stayed in these guest houses: clean, safe and visitors from all over the world
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 10:34 AM

I've never found a package deal that is cheaper, than what I arrange myself. Especially solo, most packaged tours have a single supplement that eats up any savings.

That said, I admit I've never looked a "hiking or biking tours"... just traveling to major cities in Europe on my own.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 07:05 PM

ttt
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 01:10 AM

Both of these sites list small group tours to Italy and other destinations that are within your price range. Good luck!

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/lis...menclubs.shtml

http://www.odysseys-unlimited.com/
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Amy

I've enjoyed OAT trips, and wanted to be sure you got to see their "last minute deals" page: maybe it will help you choose...

http://www.oattravel.com/Ways-to-Sav...&lpg=000683459

Happy travels!