Has anyone travelled solo with a rick steve's tour/

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'm thinking about doing a solo trip to europe (too difficult to coordinate with kids spring breaks, dh business, my business etc) this year. has anyone done a tour with steve's - maybe scotland or prague? I don't want to take over an 11 or 12 day deal. Experiences will be appreciated!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
haven't myself, but am curious to hear from others. i love to travel solo and independently but people are often looking for recommendations for small tour groups. seems like Steves' would fit the bill.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 04:50 PM

I haven't either, but have friends that have gone on his tours and loved them. A single woman friend of mine was asking Larry about the tours and he told her that there have been single women on the tours and they seemed to enjoy them too. IMO you should go for it!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
the only negative i've ever heard expressed (and this is second hand) was people thinking his trips were a bit on the expensive side. but by their description it sounds worth it to me (small vans not huge tour bus, no forced shopping stops, etc.)
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Hi,

I have a friend who went on a R. Steve's tour of Italy and liked it.

But why a group tour to Prague? It is very easy to get to and to get around on your own. It is full of English-speaking people, so language is not a problem.

I was alone in Prague last year and met several women in the breakfast room and met for dinner with a couple of them. Also compared experiences. Three of the women took a train to Cesky Krumlow for the weekend and loved it.

There are plenty of tour groups there if you wanted tours in as well as out of the city. I took the tour to Terezin, north of Prague and although the group was mixed nationalities the tour was given in English.

I think the advantage of going alone is doing what you want to do when you want to do it. Group tours are great when the itinerary includes out-of-the way places where transportation could be a problem, which may be the case for Scotland.

Good luck planning your solo trip.