Leonaro Da Vinci Museum in Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<Has anyone visited the New Leonardo da Vinci Museum in Florence on via dei Servi 66/68r? It recently opened in July, 2004 with full-scale reproductions of his machines.

Is it worth visiting?>

I'm lifting this question from the SlowTravel forum since it hasn't gotten any response and I figured it might get one here.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:16 AM

I think you mean the museum in Vinci, which is about 20 minutes west of Florence.

The museum is really neat. The reproductions are not antiques, so you can turn cranks and work them. We spent a great half-day there on our way from Florence to Pisa, and didn't get to see all of it.

It didn't open in 2004, though, because we saw it in 2002. (But the higway number sounds right.) Maybe it has moved?

The town of Vinci is really small, with great views and I think two restuarants. Lots of vinyards all around. They suggest a pleasant walk to a nearby town (where da Vinci's house is ?) but I forget the details.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:29 AM

If you are interested in scientific experiments, we enjoyed our visit to the Institute and Museum of History and Science when we were in Florence. The museum has many of Galileo's experiments. You can check out the website at:

http://galileo.imss.firenze.it/

Enjoy your journey. Peace. >-

Robyn
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:33 AM

We loved the museum in Vinci and were there in 2000. It really brought to light what an incredible man he was..brilliant. I also agree that the Science museum in Florence is not to be missed. It was fascinating.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:06 AM

Hey you know what? There is indeed a da Vinci Museum in Florence -- I was there!

It is kind of small, just two or three rooms, with probably 20 machines on display. Kind of like a mini travelling version of the real (much bigger) one in Vinci. But its ok for, say, an hour's visit.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:43 AM

I wish I had known! My Dad wanted to get to Vinci while we were there but we ran out of time. Where in Florence is it located?
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:49 AM

North and east of the Duomo, maybe a mile or less. There were signs all over Florence advertising it, early summer.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Yes, my husband and I went in June, 2005. It is a small museum not far from the Duomo. What they did is take about 15-20 of his inventions and recreate them. It is a hands on exhibit so you can go around and actually work them. You do not need a whole lot of time there -- an hour or so will do it. It was a nice stop, especially if you like Da Vinci like my husband does.