How to save photos from a website?

Jan 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

How to save photos from a website?

I know about "right click" and use the Save as or Copy feature. But, I'm talking about pics on websites that have that feature disabled.

Anyone know of a free, on-line program that does this?

Enjoy-la!
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:25 PM

Post a link to one.
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM

What you may find easiest is to get a screen capture program. I own a copy of Paint Shop Pro and I can use that to make a screen capture of any photo in my web browser.
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Not to be a buzzkill, but there's a reason why they've disabled the "right click" ability - because they don't want you taking their photos.

As an amateur photographer, copyright issues have become a big deal to me. If you really want the image, just contact the owner and ask if you can get a copy, don't just take it from the website.

I've known several people who no longer post their wonderful photos on the web because people were stealing them from the sites and posting them as their own.
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM

I have thousands of my own photos on my website. They all have copyright notices embedded in them. People still steal them. I haven't bothered taking precautions to protect them, because I know there's absolutely no foolproof way to avoid having them copied if they are on the public web. There's always a way. The best I can do is limit their size so they can't be printed very large. (I've since learned that almost no one will resist the temptation to lift a photo if they can, regardless of whether it's "right" or not.)

Some people inline my web images on their myspace profiles - I can see in my web hits who is doing it. I could prevent that but with my copyright notice blaring out with my website URL, I prefer the free advertising.
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:03 PM

I know, it's impossible to stop completely, but I do try to educate people about it when I hear this question.

Most people do it because they don't realize it is stealing.

One of the people I know who stopped posting online, stopped because a woman was taking her low res web photos and selling them on mugs, etc. on Cafe Press as her own works.
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM

A question for Toed and Andrew...a serious question (I also have photos posted at online websites):

Is it unethical to use someone else's work in something like a hardcopy scrapbook that has no marketing potential, that is designed for my personal pleasure and for which the online images I might use only enhance my own work that I display in my book; a work that will never make it to print or online even?

I often go online to find gifs and icons (ones posted as 'free') to use for a border; sometimes a photo from which I might take a tiny image and replicate it in numerous places on one page. I have also used portions of photos, enlarged them to photo page size and printed them at a high level of translucency to use as my background page.

Am I stealing? Please be gentle...now that you have pointed it out, I am trying to do it right.
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:53 PM

There may be some sort of "fair use" law that lets you use images as you describe, pollyvw, I'm honestly not sure. In any case, if no one but you ever sees it, honestly no one is going to care! I wouldn't stay up nights worrying about it.

I put my images on the web knowing that people will use them in ways like that, because of course there's really no way I can ever find out. If I find out, that means it's probably public and I WILL care if you've used one of my photos without permission.

True story: you know those towing companies that tow your car if you've parked in someone's parking lot or something? I had to contact one once, to ask a question. I went to their website - and wouldn't you know, at the very top of their website, next to their company name, was one of my bridge photos!!! Before I could email them my question, I had to send them a nasty gram to tell them to cease and desist - couldn't they see the "copyright" notice (which they had removed) and the note under the pictures saying "May not be used without permission?" They did remove my picture promptly, within about an hour. But you'd think that these enforcers of rules wouldn't so blatantly violate a copyright...
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM

TY Andrew. I'm sure you have more stories than I do, but I have even seen things marketed on ebay using pirated images...geez! Some people have a lot of nerve. I would love to see your photos if you trust posting your url...or you can email me @ pvwink(at)verizon.net. Yours, too, Toed.
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM

Polly, google for "Portland Bridges" - my website is the first result.
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM

It's actually very easy to get around the "feature disabled" piece that someone might add to their website without any tools or programs. But as toes said, they've gone to that trouble to keep you from taking things that they don't want taken. They haven't taken extreme measures to prevent the theft, but have made the attempt to let you know that they care about it.

So I hope that you reconsider, please.

Believe it when I say many photographers do mind very much. This one appears to be one of those.

Jan 20th, 2008, 09:21 PM

I peeked too Andrew. Very nice. Love the St. John's bridge shot.

If you don't mind a question -- I've always been curious about independant photography, especially specialized shots. I'm purely an amateur (other than just recently where Lonely Planet bought a shot for one of their 2008 books) but anyway I've always been curious if you get some bites like this?
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM

Polly, "for personal use" is a grey area. It's like copying a CD that you legally bought onto a cassette tape so you can listen to it in the car. If all you are using it for is personal use, then it's probably not a problem. However, if you're going to one person's work over and over, then perhaps you should ask.

Also, there are a ton of royalty-free works on the internet, so not everything you grab is at issue.

For me, I would prefer to have folks ask me. The main reason is because I'd like to know that people find my photos pleasing, and I can't know it without them telling me. The other reason is that I'd like to have the option to provide them with a high quality image if I like them. I can also ask them to mention my website to friends, etc.

Like Andrew mentioned, the free publicity is great - I'd just prefer to know who has my images, etc.

Mine are at toedtoesproductions dot com. I will be adding more photos to the gallery by tomorrow - I have a bunch from my last trip that I haven't integrated.
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Clifton, unless you donated your picture to Lonely Planet you're no amateur! If you sold a picture, you're a pro. If you've sold one you'll sell others.

I've sold my work to a variety of outlets, here and there. My pictures have been used in brochures, college catalogs, magazines, etc. One of the local TV stations uses a few of my photos as part of the backdrop for their news set. A London tabloid used one of my photos for some story that I unfortunately never got to see. But I've not yet sold anything to Lonely Planet - congratulations! What kind of photo was it?

I do all my marketing with my website and don't pay to market. People find me mostly via Google. This probably limits my volume of sales somewhat but I prefer it this way. I'm trying to make my niche selling Portland-based photography, develop a reputation here.
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM

Niche is a good way to control how much ground you have to cover to be taken seriously, I'd think. I do like quite a lot of your local shots - not to mention the shot from cinque terre spilling down to the water. Just the right amount of curve in the lens to make it feel like you're in the scene and sort of "under" the houses. I was going to ask if clients find you or you find them but you answered that. I guess I've thought that if I developed enough volume of stuff I liked, that I'd try it, but most (well, almost all) of my shots are from travel. So I guess LP was as good a fit as any, if anyone was ever going to nibble.

The shot they liked was of a nun wandering into a monaastery door in the Bucovina area in Romania. She was walking up this straight white painted line in her long black habit and well, you know... that's sort of literal and figurative when it comes to the life of a nun, so I had to take the shot. It's ok (I don't display the decent quality shot in public) but I think I personally prefer when I'm taking more offbeat chances with shots. Those I don't think would sell though!
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thx a mint for all the replies, and Andrew for a possible solution.

I would never take something and convey it as being my own or use it commercially. A personal use situation, and I was curious.

Enjoy-la!
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:42 AM

The thing is, most people I've encountered when wanting a copy of an online photo will gladly accommadate if you ask. At least that's been my experience.

Every now and again, I see something fabulous enough online that I want to make a painting from.
I just email the owner and ask permission. So far, I haven't been turned down (yet). I've made a few friends and have sent a few copies of my copy of their work to them - they get a kick out of seeing their work in a different media.
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:18 PM

It's not free, but I use SnagIt.
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:04 PM

You can make screen captures on any computer.

Not exactly sure how it works on a PC but on a MAC all you do is

Press shift, apple and 4 at the same time

Press space bar

You will hear a click (like a camera click) and the photo will appear on your desktop (label Picture #)

You can then resize or crop or whatever by opening and reshaping the window when in the Actual Size view
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM

In Windows, just hit the key on your keyboard marked "print screen" (should be near the top right, just above the keypad). That will pretty much take a picture of what's displayed on your monitor that you just happen to be looking at. Then go to your paint program - under accessories - maximize it and make sure the white portion fills up the entire space, then hold down your "ctrl" key and then the "v" key. Voila! You can then resize from there. I suppose any photo /art program would yield you the same result.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO