Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

How much time do you usually spend in a country before moving on?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2021, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was taking some time to reflect on the experience of my most recent long term travelling trip (6.5 months) recently. (December 2018 - June 2019)

At the time I was 22 years old and had only ever been abroad once in my entire life (9 days in Berlin, Germany) only a couple of months prior to setting off on this long term trip.

Growing up my family were not financially comfortable by any means and I never went on holidays at all, neither abroad or within my own country, and I knew that most people my age In my early twenties had a different upbringing, having gone on 1-2 maybe even more holidays per year with their families since the start of a very young age. This made me feel like I had a necessity to catch up to everyone else and looking back on my latest trip, I visited 13 different countries over the course of just 4 months.

By the time I got to the 13th Country, I was so exhausted with moving around every couple of days and taking multi hour bus rides (most often ranging between 6-12 hours each) between different countries and cties. It was at that point I decided I wanted to look back on the countries I had visited up to that point, gauge which one I enjoyed the most, and return back to that country and just lay low for an extended period of time, relax and amalgamate myself into the country's way of life like a normal person living there.

I went back and spent 3 long months in that country and to this day that was by far my favorite time travelling and still is my favorite country, one which on my next trip i will undoubtedly revisit and spend a long time there again.

I am currently planning my next trip and I have learned that I want to travel more slowly and explore each country in more depth, which got me thinking what everyone else's travel itineraries are usually like, do you tend to spend a longer time in one city (or one country as a whole) before moving on, and if so how long? Or do you like to cram in as many new countries as possible?
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 07:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Seems like you've already answered your own question in your post. Besides, it's impossible to answer anyway. How can you compare how much time you might spend exploring, as an example, the United States (a country) with (a country) such as El Salvador? You can't. Just go, and when you're either weary or fulfilled, move on.
As a PS, I find, as a Mexico resident, many people, probably too many, want to just 'do' as much as possible, rather than just flow with the go. As if one place is nothing more than just another notch on their travel belt.