Hotel Booking Sites

Old Feb 27th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Booking Sites

One of life's mysteries to me is why anyone would book on sites like Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, Booking.com, etc. Maybe you can get you a deal in Nowhereville, Iowa in February, but if you expect to find a hotel in a good location in vacation season they waste your time with a lot of slimy deceptive tricks to proclaim huge savings which don't exist. They quote phony discounts on rack rates that no one ever pays and hide taxes to the last moment in attempt to deceive you into thinking that you are getting a great deal. They lure you in with prices for singles in January when you want a double in June. They claim 30-40-50% off when you can just look at the hotel web site and see that it is 0% off - or worse.

I'm on this rant because I have just spent the many hours over the last week trying to book hotels for a European trip. Out of the many dozens of hotels that I looked, the booking sites failed to beat the hotel website even one by a single dollar. Not even once. In many cases, the booking site had higher rates and didn't offer promotions or room options available at the hotel. I've had this experience before, but this time the scummy sliminess of these sites and their deceptive practices just really got to me this time. They are typical middlemen. They produce nothing, create nothing, and provide no real service. They just take their cut of the action by means of lies and deception.

And Priceline? If money is all that matters, then Priceline can be useful. Like all the other deal sites, the only deals you can expect to get are on undesirable hotels in undesirable locations at undesirable times. Unfortunately, it has become so popular that real deals are getting very hard to come by. I've found that you might be able to save money, but the amount has shrunk to the point where its not worth the uncertainty. I'm not going to bid blind in order to save 25%.

My advice is don't be suckered in by these sites. Don't waste your time.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 10:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I always book directly with hotels. I've never once used a middleman. I figure it's just better to deal with where you will be staying one-to-one right from the start. I often don't even use the hotel's website to book, rather email in and try to "talk" to someone on staff directly. Chat them up.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 03:40 PM

I usually book directly with the hotel, but I disagree about Priceline. We've gotten very nice hotels in exactly the location we want for less than half of what the hotel was charging.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 04:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"the only deals you can expect to get are on undesirable hotels in undesirable locations at undesirable times"

If you get undesirable hotels in undesirable locations - put it down you your own lack of research. Priceline isn't the be all and end all - but for some places it is brilliant. Great for London, terrible for Paris. Wonderful for SFO, very good for San Francisco, bad for Los Angeles.

I've never used Orbitz/Expedia for hotels - no need. And I'd never even consider using them for Europe.

But occasionally they are useful for complicated flight itineraries. Maybe 20% of the time I can get better fares/schedules using Orbitz than w/ the airlines.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For Europe, you're using the wrong sites, no wonder you're getting bad results. Look at booking.com, eurocheap.com, venere.com, maybe even agoda.com (better for Asia). But the hotel website is often the best place, especially if you're willing to pay ahead of time.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, I see you did mention booking.com, don't know why you're getting bad results with them, I've found them very useful. Of course, I deliberately avoid high season, no desire to fight the crowds.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

"For Europe, you're using the wrong sites, no wonder you're getting bad results. Look at booking.com, eurocheap.com, venere.com, maybe even agoda.com (better for Asia). But the hotel website is often the best place, especially if you're willing to pay ahead of time."

I've looked at all these sites. These are exactly the ones that are useless. Agoda is particularly deceptive. They never actually show you the added total of hotel and tax. A few others show price *per person* or some other trick.

Priceline has lost a lot of it's value due to it's increased popularity and because most hotels now offer advanced/nonrefundable rates at 10%-20%. This really cuts Priceline off at the knees. Further, with Priceline you don't know what amenities you are going to get. The hotel may not have free wifi. If that matters, this could ad $10-$20 to your hotel cost. You don't know about whether you are getting breakfast, etc. Another small point: with With Priceline you sometimes don't get travel points.

"If you get undesirable hotels in undesirable locations - put it down you your own lack of research. Priceline isn't the be all and end all - but for some places it is brilliant. Great for London, terrible for Paris. Wonderful for SFO, very good for San Francisco, bad for Los Angeles."

I put this comment down to your lack of actual research. London is one of the places I've been looking. I'm going to guess that you haven't tried to book a London hotel on Priceline during high season. I've already tried bidding and have given up at a level where I was within 25% of what I could get with direct booking and advanced purchase directly with the hotel. Priceline came up with nothing. A place like London has no inefficienies in the market, as economists would say. You get what you pay for and no slimey middleman is going to change that.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:38 AM

imhornet: >>I'm going to guess that you haven't tried to book a London hotel on Priceline during high season. what you are trying. Longer bookings (more than 2 nights) are harder, and for 5 or more nights one usually has to break it in to two bookings. I normally only bid for London when on a 1 or 2 night stopover. For longer stays I usually rent an apartment.

On another thread you 'accused' me of giving bad info and that certain hotels I mentioned didn't have discounted rates. They do - but again it depends on what you are trying for. London hotel rates can be VERY date sensitive. One may have a great rate for two nights, but the third night may be sky high because of occupancy numbers.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

"On another thread you 'accused' me of giving bad info and that certain hotels I mentioned didn't have discounted rates. They do - but again it depends on what you are trying for. London hotel rates can be VERY date sensitive. One may have a great rate for two nights, but the third night may be sky high because of occupancy numbers."

You obviously miss the point. Of course, room prices can vary greatly. Sure, it would be cheaper to go in March than in June. But so what? Deciding to go during on or off season is a whole other discussion. But If you are going to be in London on specific days, you have to live with the rates applicable then. Given this constraint, you aren't going to get any deals at all from hotel booking sites or any great bargains from Priceline. There are ways to save money if you want to work hard and hop around daily from hotel to hotel depending who was cheaper. But even this doesn't change he central point - you can do as well or better from the hotels than from booking agencies and Priceline isn't going to get you any great bargain. Priceline is just a ship that rides up and down with the rate changes. In places and times where there are a lot of empty hotel rooms, maybe you can catch a break. But it isn't going to happen during London tourist season.

BTW. If you can show me how to book a room at the Radisson Blu in anywhere in central London for $200 this summer, I'd be real glad to hear about it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:16 PM

No - I wasn't talking June vs March. I meant say, Wed vs. Fri

To be clear maybe I should have posted >> . . . giving bad info and that certain hotels I mentioned didn't have discounted rates in high seasonBTW. If you can show me how to book a room at the Radisson Blu in anywhere in central London for $200 this summer, I'd be real glad to hear about it.think I mentioned the Blu, thought it was the Edwardian. But in any case like I've said, rates are very, very date specific. If your date(s) fall w/i a really full/booked up time frame - that may be why you are having trouble.

I have gone so far - on a two week UK trip - as switching the order of things so I'm in London on 'cheaper' days. But that's just changing the days, not the month/season.