Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Graphic Design Thesis project in need of help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone!

As a senior in a BFA Graphic Design program, I am in the middle of working on my thesis project. My project is focusing on inspiring people to travel out of the United State by making postcards, a book, posters, and possibly a website.

So I am looking for other travelers of ALL ages to share your stories, tips, pics, etc!

I am looking for ANY of the following:

-Any kinds of tips or advice like, avoid this… never forget that… make sure to do this… always pack… what activities and experiences are really a ‘must’, your favorites, etc.

-One sentence or a paragraph on why you travel, why you regret never taking the opportunity to travel (if that is the case), etc.

-If you have any funny or inspiring stories, your observations about culture, food and best possible routes to take.
(Include pics if you would like)

I would be extraordinarily grateful if you could contribute anything!

If you would like to remain at all anonymous in my project, please let me know!

You can also go to www.facebook.com/jkrumholtzthesis
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM

What's Graphic Design got to do with traveling?
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 09:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<Any kinds of tips or advice like, avoid this… never forget that… make sure to do this… always pack… what activities and experiences are really a ‘must’, your favorites, etc.>

Why reinvent the wheel? There are already a zillion places both hard copy and on the world wide web that already deal with these exact topics. Dozens if not hundreds of travel forums, travel magazines, guidbooks. What do you hope to provide that these that already exist do not?
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having found Fodors, you can answer you questions by reading. Plenty of info here if you expend a little effort, why should we do it for you?
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Sorry to see some negative responses!! I totally get what you are doing! Yes you can read through these forums and find info but I would love to help!!

One thing I always do before a trip - domestic or international IS consult a travel forum - be prepared for some negative and unkind words - some people are not always kind to newbies..

My thoughts are that "life is short - travel when you can!!"

Even with the best planning ( I am a little OCD) you will have issues - likely to get lost but just go with it and you might stumble across something amazing.

Be comfortable - shoes, layers, hydrate.

Shop and eat local!!

LONDON is awesome - yes airfare from US can be expensive but there is sooo much free stuff when there and with some research you can find reasonable hotels, dining and shopping!!

Plan plan plan - I dont want to travel and wake up each morning and waste time deciding what to do - of course with planning you need to be somewhat flexible - yes we WANT to do this today BUT have back up plan and go with what comes - I just dont want to waste time when I travel.

YOU CAN see it all!!

Be safe when you travel - know where you are and stay aware.

Most people are willing to help and love telling you about their city.

these are just random thoughts but I would love to help in anyway!!!

[email protected]
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 01:45 PM

Hi There,

I second Oh2doula's advice on planning! knowing where you're going will help you get around more easily and appreciate it more.
Plus, can help prevent mishaps ('oops' moments like when the museum is closed on your last day in the city, or you just missed the train and the next one is in 6 hours, or the trip to the volcano was yesterday... all of which happened to me!)

Here's a random set of tips that come to mind based on your questions:

Avoid:
- alcohol before diving (or driving)
- long lines (there's usually some way to get around them by paying extra or planning ahead)
- tourist trap restaurants

Never forget
- Your passport
- To check if you need a visa to visit your destination country
- To have fun even if something goes wrong

Make sure to:
- Be nice and considerate to others around you
- Learn a few words in the local language - people will often be much nicer to you in you open with a nice greeting
- Put on sunscreen

Always pack: (make your own checklist, here's things I always bring along)
- Electricity adapters/ splitters
- Any medicine you need
- Underwear

Why I Travel:
- To see the world, see beautiful places, get to know different cultures, and enjoy different foods (yum!)
- To take a break from daily life and recharge my batteries

Funny moments - every single trip has them... some of my favorites:
- Getting our car stuck on its side, sunk into a deep ditch in Provence. Thank god we were right in front of a vineyard and they were nice enough to bring their staff and tractor to pull us out
- Waiting for 7 days until the rain stopped in NZ because we wanted to go on a specific hike - then finding it was completely underwater. We only had flour, eggs, and some powdered soup to keep us fed in the last couple of days. It was interesting to try and come up with new recipes from that little.
- Trying to ask an old couple in Japan to help take our photo, and instead having them start to pose because they thought we wanted to take their photo. Then doing the exact thing ourselves when some Japanese girls asked us to take their photo, and we thought they wanted ours.

Best trip ever - 3 months in NZ, traveling up and down both islands, moving from one place to another every day almost, and seeing something different in every single place. Desert, glaciers, lakes, mountains, rivers, mines, sounds, mt doom, ...

HTH
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:46 PM

Geez...what is the problem with his idea?

You do not have to be the first person with the business idea. This student is in an a program for design. Perhaps he has a unique way to present the content. Cut him some slack.