Graduation Trip for the family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son is graduating from high school this year (2010) and we want to give him (and us) a big trip for a gift. We were thinking about South Africa for World Cup, but haven't made any decisions yet and frankly am beginning to get a little discouraged by what I'm reading on these forums - should have started this months ago. Any ideas for something interesting for both a 18 year old and his folks? I am having a hard time narrowing it down to a certain type of place, but other than Mexico, he's never been out of the country and I've only been to Europe once (though if I get a vote - Italy would win!) I don't get a vote, though, but I do get to make suggestions. I was thinking Bermuda or Australia - he doesn't think Australia is exotic enough though. We've travelled all over the US and love everywhere we've visited, so I think we'd love almost anywhere. I know this is a really broad request, I wish I could think of a way to narrow it down, but I'm hoping one of you very well travelled and helpful folks can help with a suggestion or two... Thanks so much!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 04:29 AM

I think South Africa for the World Cup would be fantastic. You could add a safari which would certainly be exotic.

I would have thought that you have plenty of time, isn't the World Cup next June/July??

Keep us posted when you decide.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 05:59 AM

The World Cup is a great idea but you well may have a problem with accommodations. When we were in Germany in '06 during the World Cup, we were told most places in cities where venues were held were filled up a year in advance. Still might be worth checking out.

I've got some ideas but would really like to know why he somehow thinks Australia isn't exotic enough. It would help narrow down suggestions.

What do you mean you don't get to vote? Aren't you going?
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 11:26 AM

World Cup would be an awesome trip, dfr4848 is right usually you have a to book far in advance for a huge event like this, but there are companies that can set you up with tickets and a place to stay, i've heard they can get really, really expensive though. I know Italy would be first choice for you and i'm assuming that soccer is something that interests you and your family, so depending on when you take this trip you may be able to have the best of both worlds. The Italian Serie A runs from August through May and would be more affordable and equally enjoyable. I found this just after reading your post and thought it might be helpful. take a look at number 1 http://www.frommers.com/articles/6231.html
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM

I, too, was curious why your son thinks Australia isn't exotic enough. IMHO, it's about as exotic as it gets! If he enjoys soccer, he might like to take in an Aussie Rules football game or a Rugby game for a little variety.

Did he enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies? How about Australia combined with New Zealand, where those movies were filmed. VERY exotic and beautiful.

In addition to soccer, what are your son's interests?
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Hi Denise

I took my kids 18 and 14 to Egypt last December and it was spectacular.

All young people are fascinated with ancient Egypt. If you have not been to Egypt then I think that will be a great gift for your son and the whole family will also enjoy.

My son put together a journal which I posted here to share our wonderful experience here. Egypt is incredible. That trip is still ranked top on my list as very exotic, beautiful and educational.

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...amily-trip.cfm

The other trip we did recently in May was to China and it was also excellent but not as exotic as the Egypt trip. I also posted a report for the China trip. You can find it under my user name if you are interested.

Have a great time planning.
regards
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Haven't heard back from OP in over a week so assume they've made up their mind about where to go.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

No, we haven't made up our minds yet - a soccer injury took me away from the computer for about 10 days, but I'm back and still looking for ideas. I think my son thinks Australia isn't exotic enough because they speak English! He certainly has no other point of reference - hated the Lord of the Rings movie, so that's not a selling point. Again, if I'd get a vote - other than Italy, Australia would definitely be second, but wow - Egypt sounds very interesting. As far as other interests soccer and girls, in that order. Thank you for all of your input so far - and any other suggestions you have would be great! What makes Australia exotic in your opinion - help me sell him on it!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Sorry about the soccer injury.

<because they speak English> Well, sorta!

Pros:
- Great Barrier Reef (swimming with great whites can be pretty exotic)
- climbing Ayers Rock
- the Outback
- sailing off Perth
- Tasmania
- animals you won't see anywhere else
- hiking Australian Alps
- night life in Sydney/Merbourne

I had also thought Egypt and China would both be good suggestions. Both exotic, but for very different reasons.

I would never argue with Italy - love the country, people and food (with some significant history/sites thrown in). Germany is a favorite with us as well.

[Guess the UK is out since they sorta speak English as well!!]

Tahiti

Thailand
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Since you're trying to convince your son about Australia, and you state his interests are soccer and girls, these might be some selling points:

1. Multiple sports similar to soccer: Australian rules football, rugby, and soccer (association football)
2. Beautiful Australian girls with sexy Australian accents

But I must admit, Egypt and China would be awesome destinations, too (though I've never been). But I have been to both Germany and Italy and you just can't go wrong there either!

One comment that you made in your original post, "love everywhere we've visited, so I think we'd love almost anywhere," says it all. Yes, you WILL love wherever you end up because you have a great attitude and, it sounds like, an adventuresome spirit. Your son is blessed to have you.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM

China is fantastic, went last year around this time and it was beautiful. other places that would be interesting Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Turkey and the list goes on Turkey is amazing, there is a lot to see and do in and around the country. I've only been once but from what i've seen Croatia is lovely. Spain is great, tons to see, pretty girls and great soccer I didn't get to go to Morocco but i've always wanted to go on a trip to Spain, Gibraltar and then head over to Morocco. I think Egypt would also be a really great trip. South America would also be interesting. Brazil, Argentina, Peru. good luck trying decide where to go, everyone has such great suggestions.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your input! So many places to decide between - how does one choose? One more question, probably better directed to another forum, but you all have been great so far - what would the weather be like in Australia in June/July? I know it's winter, but I believe they are similar to So. Calif. in climate, and having lived there, winter doesn't mean much
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Not sure but think you're pretty much correct. Try www.weather.com
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 05:56 AM

About the weather in Australia: It's a big continent, so the weather will vary just like it does here. We were there in June 2006. Our first week was in Adelaide, South Australia. It was high 60's, low 70's during the day, but got quite cool at night. We attended an Aussie Rules Football game and had to borrow our host's winter coats and hats. Our second week was north of Sydney about an hour. It was in the high 70's, low 80's during the day. Warm enough for our kids (ages 17 and 13 at the time) to go surfing (we rented boards). So it really depends on where in Australia you would be spending your time.