Search

General Travel Tips

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Travel Tips

What are you favourite general travel tips?
Here are a few to get you going.

Trust no one. Especially if they come to you.

Always take a thermos to save time and money in buying hot drinks.

Always have enough food for a meal in case of delays or no opportunity to buy a meal.

Take the Card out of your camera if you have to leave it in the car or room.

On long haul flights have a full wash, clean your teeth and change your underwear at the half way mark.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Take things that are valuable or cannot be easily replaced in your carry-on and don't let it leave your side. Never put them in checked-luggage. This includes but is not limited to: your passport, your money, ATM/charge cards, anything obtained by prescription (meds/glasses/contacts) and any fancy electronics (cellphones, ipod, laptops).
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Trust no one. Especially if they come to you." - Wrong. Very wrong. Yes, you should be cautious. Yes, in some places there are well known scams you should avoid. BUT, there are times and places when you need help and a kind stranger may well be the one who provides it.

For instance, if you're approached in Beijing by someone who wants to practice their English, these days it's probably the start of a scam (expensive tea tasting, art gallery etc.). But, if you're in a bus station out in the Chinese countryside trying to buy a ticket, or on a train trying to order dinner, the stranger who offers to help is going to do that and only that.

You have to be joking about that last one - have you looked at the floor in the bathrooms?
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 08:14 PM

Trust no one??? That's excessive. Use caution and judgement based on the situation.

I often trust people when I travel (with my camera, when asking for directions, etc) and it's always worked in my favor thus far. You don't hand over your camera to the younger man who says "I'll take a photo for you!" but you ask a couple, a family, etc. You have to use common sense but please don't travel with the idea that you can't trust anyone and people are out to "get" you.

I couldn't agree more with Suze: <<<Take things that are valuable or cannot be easily replaced in your carry-on and don't let it leave your side.>>> If it's really important, DO NOT CHECK IT. You can buy more underwear, you can buy more clothes. Buying a new camera, computer, glasses, etc aren't so easy.

Have fun and remember that your way is not the only way. Yep, it's different from at home, that's one of the main reasons to travel. Just because it's different does NOT make it wrong. Be accepting of differences.

Learn a few words of the local language and remember to smile. If you find someone who speaks your language, speak clearly and a bit slower but don't shout. A few words of the local language (where is _____, excuse me, please, sorry, thank you, yes, no, how much? etc) really do go a long way and are pretty easy to learn and remember. Don't worry about the best pronunciation, the attempt and a smile go a long way.

If you travel alone, take a book to read while eating (or while on the plane/bus/train). It makes it less awkward feeling and can be a great conversation starter.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM

Maybe the "trust no one" meant like when a scam artist approaches trying to sell you a "gold ring"?

like Thursdaysd, I do NOT wash up & change clothes in the plane bathroom a long haul flight. I wait and do that in my arrival airport, on the ground. It's cleaner that way!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 01:53 PM

A big second (or third, or?) to what suze and others have said re: putting the important stuff in a carry-on - and I'll add, make sure it's a good one, with a zipper or other closure -- and not one of those open-ended 'large-sacs', where stuff can/could fall out when the bag is laid on its side, like under the seat in front of you, or in the above storage compartment.

If you're taking prescription medications (and if you are, they should always be taken in your carry-on as well), always ensure you take a few days more of each medication than you actually might need, and keep those separately from the others -- be on the safe side, you might open a bottle one day and lose several pills down a sink, or drain, or wherever/whatever, and because of where you are, not be able to replenish such readily.

I like the suggestion of taking a little extra food -- we always do this, and especially now that the airlines so seldom provide anything of value to eat, and delays (whether departure or arrival) can be common, and sometimes considerable. Having a little extra food on-hand can sure help in such circumstances!!

Just a couple of tips that came to my mind ... bet there are many more out there?

Cheers!!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM

I'm sure there are a million+ travel tips. Heck there's whole books full of them. And all kinds of other websites... Trip Advisor, Rick Steves, Lonely Planet, Budget Travel, Frommer's, etc. etc. Not to mention GUIDEBOOKS!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

I opened this thread for new people to the site and new travellers.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 04:18 PM

It's unfortunate but for whatever reason hardly anyone uses this "Travel Tips" branch. The likelyhood of a new traveller seeing the post is kind of slim.

But thanks for posting, peterSale. I didn't mean to sound negative. Maybe if we get enough new posts & new ideas going here... we could drum up some business on this branch!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

That's why I did it. There was a comment that there was not much happening here, so I thought I would try and get something going for those to come here. It is a bit hit and miss, I know, but newies would probably come to this branch and be a bit disappointed.

What else can we start?
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 06:50 AM

OK, i'm in let's liven things up around here!
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Great.Keep them coming people.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:26 AM

If you're going someplace that could potentially be cool, don't pack your coat in your suitcase (learned that one the hard way on an early April business trip to Paris when my luggage was delayed).

If you're going someplace that could potentially be cool, take a scarf and some of those amazing expanding gloves that stretch alot. If you forget your coat, or it is delayed because you had the brilliant idea to pack it in your suitcase, you can get by with a blazer and a couple of layers as long as you can keep your hands and neck warm.

Leave your nice jewelry at home.

Splurge and buy good socks. They are worth it.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Airline travel: Each suitcase is packed with 1/2 my husband's clothes and 1/2 mine, so if one suitcase is lost we will each have something to wear.

Car travel: beach items in separate bag especially towels, so this bag doesn't have to be lugged into the hotel. Leave a sweatshirt or windbreaker for each traveler in the car. Same for a comfy pair of shoes each.

I usually type up all suggestions for sights/directions/phone numbers etc. This past trip I had two copies, one for the car and one for the hotel room. This little idea was great especially for our trip to Cape Cod where we had one hotel for the week and spent a lot of time traveling around.

I have a mini bottles of Dawn, Tide, Fabreze and Wrinkle Release always in my travel kit.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM

I find a pair of dark shades to be enormously helpful in enabling me to sleep on planes. Funny, I've been flying for many years, but it took my son's example recently to teach me this.

Pack a set of earplugs in your kit - they're invaluable when one's accommodations turn out to be noisier than expected.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 07:31 PM

Pack a clothespin in case an annoying beam of light shines through hotel drapes.

Redstater- I like the dark shades idea!
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 07:00 AM

I have guy friends who use a baseball cap (same idea as the sunglasses) to help them sleep on planes. The shelter over the eyes of the brim gives them a bit of feeling of privacy.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM

" Pack a clothespin in case an annoying beam of light shines through hotel drapes. "

Love that one - we could have used such a good many times for just that purpose!! There will definitely be a couple of clothespins in the luggage of our next trip south!!
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Instead of clothespins I use the small black triangular paperclips (husband refers to them as "bull clips?. That way I can use them for papers also. I have even put a keyring through the side of the clip and used it to clip items inside of my daypack.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 02:07 AM

"Binder" clips are great gadgets - much stronger hold than any other clip. But don't forget the lowly safety pin, which comes in many sizes, is smaller and lighter, can be secured even more safely than a clip, and can be used in a huge variety of applications. They're one of my favorite travel secrets - right up there with duct tape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -