Found Ring is 'lost' 3 days after it should have been mailed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am at a loss as to what to do, and am hoping I can get some guidance on the best way to handle this situation.

In a rush to check out from my stay at the Marriott City Center in Minneapolis to make a flight, I had left the wedding band my mother had worn on the rim of the tub. I wear it on a chain, and had taken it off to shower, forgetting to put it on.

The moment that I realized I didn't have it on (about an hour after I had left the property), I called the hotel and reported it missing. About 2 hours later, utilizing the Marriott app, I checked the status of the search with the chat function of the app.

To my surprise and delight they had found it, and offered to hold it for me to return and pick it up or mail it to me. I provided my mailing address and a credit card so they could ship it to me since I would miss my flight if I went back for it.

This was Monday May 30th in the afternoon. I was informed that I would see the tracking info in the chat part of the app, I also asked for an email with the tracking information.

Today (June 2nd), I received a call asking me to provide the estimated value of the ring for the insurance portion of the FedEx form. To my dismay, they had not yet mailed it out. No problem I gave a quick estimate and informed the person that the ring was priceless because it was an heirloom. She said she understood, and would email me the tracking information in a moment.

30 minutes later she calls me back and informs me that the jewelry is missing. The envelope that the items were in is empty and she has no idea what happened to them.

I'm devastated. Does anyone have any advice on how to move forward? I am expecting a call from Loss Prevention and she said she would be calling Corporate as well. Should I file a police report? Anyone deal with something similar before?

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 12:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I would definitely file a police report. They acknowledged having it, then that it was gone, which equals theft unless proven otherwise. I think making it official is a step in the direction of accountability and one might even hold out a slice of hope for it's "reappearance". If no report is made there is no incentive for accountability.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 12:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
print out the whole chat -- you must have a paper trail since this sounds pretty sleazy. The ring only goes missing <i>after</i> you provide the value??

Definitely file a police report -- AND tell the hotel manager exactly what happened.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response! I am still trying to figure out how to get access to the actual chat. Apparently no one has access to the chat records of the Marriott app!
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 10:42 AM

If you can see the chat on your phone, you can take screen captures of it, multiple ones, to get the whole thing.
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately the Marriott App closes the chat when you leave the application, and you have to have a reservation to communicate with the concierge staff again, I think?

Well the plot thickens, slightly.

Today I received a voicemail from a man indicating that he was the director of hotel operations for the hotel, and asked me to call him back on his cell phone, which is not even close to an area code that matches where the hotel is from.

I called the hotel to try and get confirmation that this person is who he says he is, but they won't confirm or deny anyones employment. I did manage to find out that this is a corporate Marriott hotel; although I'm not sure if it makes a difference?
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 01:32 PM

Why don't you call the guy back and see what he has to say? No one's cell phone area code is relevant anymore.

Also, if you call instead of relying on the app, you can ask to speak to anyone, including the concierge.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 06:46 PM

What do you have to lose by calling the man who left the voice mail?
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 09:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<asked me to call him back on his cell phone, which is not even close to an area code that matches where the hotel is from>

That isn't a red flag these days.

What do you have to lose by returning the call?
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 09:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I can see how, considering how this whole episode has gone south and gotten so strange, that there might be some reluctance on drpau's part to call. Where to begin, how to proceed, how to not make it worse. Perfectly understandable. I suspect I'd be at a loss too.