Luxury Trip Report 3

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Kay

Luxury Trip Report 3

Cernobio, Italy: GH Villa D'Este. A perfect hotel. We had a package that included meals and they were very good. We could choose either the Veranda or the grill restaurant in the evening. With our AX Fine Hotel package, we were given an upgrade room. Our package included a deluxe room, but not necessarily a lake view. Because we had The Romantic Stay package, we were told by our AXP travel agent that we would not be eligible for the AX Fine Hotel upgrade, but we were given those perks too without even asking. So we had a large room, lake view and small balcony, with a huge walk-in closet, lovely, large bath with a jacuzzi tub and shower. Everything about this hotel is perfect, the food was great, the room wonderful, the AC the best we had anywhere, great location (we really liked Cernobio,) and the staff was friendly, beautiful grounds, all a little too perfect. I think that is why it is not my favorite. I have nothing negative to say about it, how do you complain about perfection? Perhaps it was just too big, because we never talked with any other guests except one morning in the gift shop. I did really enjoy my stay here, it just wasn't my favorite.<BR><BR>Aix En Provence, France. Villa Gallici. It looks like the photos on the web and yet it doesn't. It has charm. The rooms are done in prints and ours had a very nice marble bathroom. We had a view over the gardens to the Church in town. The outside dining area and pool are are very nice. I think what surprised me was that it seemed much more elegant in the web photos and reviews. It is eclectic, and a little worn. They don't provide breakfast and if you want rolls and coffee, it is around 26 Euro each. I did not eat the dinner I was served there and my husband didn't enjoy his although he did eat it. They served dinner in the lounge area on small portable tables and the chairs did not fit the table and were uncomfortable. Altogether, I would not eat there again. I thought otherwise it was charming, with roses on the tables morning and night, but my husband really didn't like the flowered wallpaper (I did) and because of the food, rates this as his least favorite (next to the Villa Athena of course.) I enjoyed the environment and would stay here again because it is a short walk into town and food! I left a travel feather pillow on the bed and called about an hour after I left and they said they would look for it. The next day I called and they said they couldn't find it. I told them I found that hard to believe since it was in a pink case, and so I was unhappy about that and they promised to contact the head of housekeeping. I didn't call back thinking it was gone, but when I returned home, it was waiting for me. So they did find it and send it to me at no charge! As you can tell, I have mixed feelings about this place. Lots of charm, I really liked the room, staff, and ambiance, I just don't think it deserves the rave reviews it gets.<BR><BR>Menerbes, France: La Bastide de Marie. This is my favorite non-traditional hotel. A few rooms, more like a bed and breakfast with meals. You are free to wander around the kitchen, enjoy snacks, juice, wine, etc. all day long... very relaxing and wonderful. For my review, read "I'm at La Bastide de Marie" which I wrote from there.<BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Kay

Correction: Luxury Hotel Report 3

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:04 PM
xxxxx

Kay, If you had written your first report then replied to it for your second and so one, you would not be having problems and it would be easier to follow.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:06 AM
xxx

Oh please keep your trip report together in one thread. Also please break it up into short paragraphs so it will be easier to read.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Kay

I tried to post it all in one and it wouldn't go, so I posted it in different sections. I should have thought about posting to my own report, but I didn't. It was late and I was tired. Sorry. I appreciate the advice.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Kay

Please go to European Luxury Hotel Report where the report has been consolidated. Thank you.