Trip Report from CR

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report from CR

Hello everyone
We just returned from an awesome trip to Costa Rica, Dec 29-Jan10. I gained lots of helpful info from this board so wanted to return the favor to anyone who might be interested.

Day 1-flew from ATL to SJO; flight was 1 1/2 hrs late but otherwise uneventful. Ran into a slight glitch with transportation to hotel from airport but it was resolved quickly. Stayed in Hotel Bueno Vista 1st night (and also night before departing) which is a lovely, quiet, locally owned hotel in Alajuela ~ 20 min from airport. Very convenient and easy. It costs ~$90 for a deluxe room with a view and breakfast.

Day 2-5 Monteverde/Santa Elena. Took taxi from Alajuela to San Luis Ecolodge which is located in a small village near Monteverde/Santa Elena. It is ~3 hr ride and cost $50 pperson. The ecolodge was wonderful--owned by Univ of Ga and is a teaching/research facilty which has rooms open to the public. We stayed in a very nice cabina (rustic not luxury) with 3 meals/day for ~$80. There were on-site activities like hiking, touring local farms/ gardens for free. It is located in the Monteverde region so lots of plant life and wildlife to see onsite. The staff was very accomodating and helped us arrange activities. Went to Sky Trek and Sky Walk one day which is a definite must. Oh, what a thrill! To do both cost $49 pp, the canopy walk alone is a little cheaper, but you just gotta do the zip lines! There are 11 in all and the most exciting thing I have ever done!!!

Day 6-8 Arenal. We took jeep/boat/jeep ride from Santa Elena to Arenal at ~ $50 pp. This is not actually a jeep ride but a 10 passenger van. 1st leg took about 3 hrs to the lake. Hung around the boat dock for about 30 min before being put on a pontoon type boat with ~ 30 people. It was quite interesting-- the water was a bit choppy so the luggage on the front of the boat got a little wet but otherwise it was pretty fun. That leg took ~45 min to Arenal. From there put on another bus (not jeep) and were delivered to hotels. We stayed at Montana de Fuego which took about 20 min to get to. We had a "deluxe cabin" which was pretty basic but clean with large bath, TV and fridge and very nice porch. After the fog and rain cleared we learned we were within very close viewing distance of Arenal! Also had nice buffet breakfast included in room charge; ate lunch there once which was mediocre and pricey. Only negative was the location of cabin on main street which was a little noisy.

Montana is a ~15 min taxi ride into La Fortuna which we did for dinner every night. Ate at La Jardin and La Choza de Laurel--both local and tasty with a variety of items with a good price range. Taxi rides are cheap-- a few bucks.

Just a word about the weather: In Monteverde, it was rainy, misty, windy, cool, and sunny all at the same time. You really have to dress in layers and always have your rain gear. Also we found bugs the worst here, so pants are a must as well as repellent. Even though it was the "dry" season, the locals call Jan. the "misty and windy" month. Because of the sun and the moisture, saw rainbows constantly even double ones!! Every day was clear and sunny, but in the evenings/mornings usually was windy and rainy every day. In Arenal, the 1st 2 days were totally socked in by fog and rain; couldn't see anything --didn't even know where the volcano was. The 3rd day it cleared and was gorgeous and sunny although clouds always clung to the top of the volcano. We were able to go to Arenal and do a hike before leaving.

More to come....gotta give my fingers a rest plus feeling a bit sad over not being back in CR...

Kat

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Aren't those rainbows amazing! Thanks for the report on the EcoLodge. I have suggested that several times to hubby but we always seem to be going in another direction these days. Hopefully he will be interested after I show him the report.

I am sure we can all sympathize with your wanting to be back there.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 05:14 PM

just got back ourselves...your last comment struck a cord!!! let us know when you're ready to go again BECAUSE WE ARE TOO!!!
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 03:41 AM

I can pack REALLY fast ...?
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 04:50 AM

Thanks, kthyrn, and Happy New Year!
So glad you had a fabulous time. Yes, please do tell us more.

And welcome home!