foreign exchange conversions

Old May 31st, 2018, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
foreign exchange conversions

Help
I have always gone Oanda to get conversion rates to country I am going. I tried today & you need to sign up & be a business. Is there anywhere else I can get this to put in my wallet.
We are leaving Sat. Thank you so much
Old May 31st, 2018, 02:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
here's one but there are lots of others. Currency pocket guide / Equivalence sheet between 2 currencies - fxtop.com

This is another one you can print out. https://coinmill.com

But I usually just type up my own and print it out wallet sized. A 2-column table - say you are going to Europe one column for € and one for $. You don't need every amount. But something like €1, €3, €5, €10, €20, etc but you can break it out as much as you want .5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, etc etc. -- takes me about 2 minutes to create the table and print it.
Old May 31st, 2018, 04:41 PM

Are you not interested in downloading the Oanda or XE app for currency conversion?
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 03:39 PM

You might want to try again?

https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

You can use Oanda. I just looked and it's the same as always for me (i do print small wallet cards because i don't travel w/ a smartphone).
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 09:55 AM

If you have the internet just type

convert x into y

on google

for example

convert 1000 US$ into €
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 05:12 PM

>>If you have the internet just type

convert x into y

on google<<

Sometimes just because there is an app or site that does it -- just an old fashioned 'cheat sheet' on a credit card sized piece of paper is more practical. I don't want to have to use my phone or iPad every time I want to calculate a purchase. I seldom take my drivers license if I'm not renting a car so the cheat sheet fits nicely in the ID window in my small wallet. Easy peasy -- pull out my cc to pay and at the same time there are the conversion amts right there.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 08:11 PM

I got the impression that the OP was looking for something more time sensitive. FX change by the second. The cheat second will be accurate the moment you hit print but could be widely off at the end of a long trip. Really depends on what the OP is looking for.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 08:57 PM

>>I got the impression that the OP was looking for something more time sensitive. <<.

I didn't read anything like that. Unless there is a coup or major upheaval, the day to day fluctuation doesn't matter all that much to a tourist on a 10 day or 2 week trip. (unless they are headed to Venezuela LOL). The possible 8¢ difference on a £10 purchase in insignificant.
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 02:47 AM

The XE.com app on a smartphone is all you need. Even if not online, it stores the latest rates from last time you were you can still calculate specific amounts based on that rate. If I don’t have a phone with me , the I tend to do it the old fashioned way - memory and mental arithmetic..
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 05:48 AM

Oh I agree with you but other people want more up to date information.
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 12:54 PM

but could be widely off at the end of a long trip

It would have to be a REALLY LONG trip for the rates to change enough to make a significant difference! Unless they were "leaving Saturday" for a 3 year trip around the world... isn't going to matter much the small ups and downs for the length of an average vacation.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 04:16 PM

There are a lot of things I worry about on a trip. The exchange rate is not one of them since I cannot control it. The only thing I am concerned with is a ballpark number. 'Cause it will not make any difference to what I do.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 06:24 PM

>>The only thing I am concerned with is a ballpark number. 'Cause it will not make any difference to what I do.<<

Ditto

In fact I usually don't want to think/know about precise fluctuations - I don't want to know that wonderful dinner is costing me $1 more or that designer jacket maybe a dollar more or less. That's really why I just use a little cheat sheet in my wallet. I'll glance at it or not . . .
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 03:17 AM

Not exactly on point but some of you might find this humorous:

We just returned from a cruise where during the "Farewell Crew Show" the crew did a parody of how tourists from different countries might react if they came across some "foreign currency" lying in the street. In most instances the people would pick up the money and do different things with it but the American traveler had to FIRST figure out what the exchange rate was before deciding if it was worth spending energy to bend over to pick it up. Sort of reminded me of this thread.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 10:10 AM

It may be that many Americans don't travel overseas very often or at all - But I am surprised that so many (just judging by threads on the Europe board) simply don't understand foreign exchange rates or the relationship between currencies.

Many people post that they can't afford travel to the UK because of the rotten exchange rate, whereas visiting euro countries is much cheaper (and ignoring that even using the same currency some euro countries cost a lot more than others) . . . £1 = $1.32 is not a 'worse' exchange rate than €1 = $1.16 for example - they are not comparable in that way.
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by RoamsAround View Post
the American traveler had to FIRST figure out what the exchange rate was before deciding if it was worth spending energy to bend over to pick it up. Sort of reminded me of this thread.
I remember Bill Gates being asked by an interviewer if it was true that he was so rich that it wasn’t worth his time to bend down to pick up a $100 bill lying on the ground. He replied "probably not, but I would"
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 07:07 PM

I print a small cheat sheet exactly as janisj does. Mine is broken down as 1, 5 10, 20 and 100 in $ and local currency. You will pick up the exchange rate rather quickly so will only need to review it occasionally.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 11:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I used to print the small sheet out for OANDA too, michele_d, but now I have the GlobeConverter app and I don't bother. I always have my phone with me anyway, so I figured why not. Turns out to be useful!