Search

First Solo Trip in my 20s

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2015, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Solo Trip in my 20s

I've gone to several different locations alone, only to meet friends or family on the other end. This year I'd love to challenge myself and take a trip entirely by myself. I have about 8-10 days that I can take for this trip and would love to go somewhere that is safe and enjoyable alone. Any thoughts on locations that are safe for a single woman in her 20s and not terribly expensive?
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 08:51 AM

Can you give us more information about what you like to do - boating, water activities, hiking, mountain climbing, etc. and where you would be starting your trip. This will help narrow down suggestions. Also, give us an idea of your total budget for the 8-10 days. Will you be driving, using public transportation, etc. All these things will be helpful.
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

I'd be departing from New York and I'd love to not exceed 3,500 total. I love to walk around cities and explore, any water activity, love to see performances, and I am a writer so I often find myself just enjoying a new city whilst writing. Depending on where I go I would probably fly to get there and then walk/use public transportation.
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 09:50 AM

London (or the UK in general) seems to fit the bill. It'll be fairly easy to communicate with locals, there are loads of options for accommodations, activities and dining, easy to get around by walking or using public transportation, and you can easily stay within budget.
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just about anywhere in Europe or Asia is going to be safe, so pick where you want to go and then check the State Dept website to make sure (or the UK Foreign Office site, they are less alarmist then the Americans). Parts of Africa are fine too, as is Australasia and much of South America. So safety should not be limiting you.

If you want some inspiration for solo travel, see this thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/trav...collection.cfm
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 09:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mexico.
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 05:22 PM

Go to Asia. Thailand or Laos spring to mid as they are inexpensive and have a relatively well developed tourist infrastructure. There will be lots of single travellers of your age so it would be easy to meet up and share both costs and experiences. www.travelfish.org is a good starting point for information, costs etc.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Much of the world is actually quite safe for a young woman traveling alone (I just turned 30 and almost always travel by myself). Safety is always one of my first considerations and it's really not been a limiting factor at all. The same common sense and habits that help keep me safe at home do the same when I travel.

I also make sure that I check in with my parents via email or skype (unlimited calls to phones in the US is only around $3 for a month). It really helps keep my Mom comfortable with my travels if she hears from me and knows that I'm alive, well and having a great time on a regular basis.

For your trip, London might be a really good starting place for you. It's fun, there's a million things to do and see and there are some fantastic day trips easily available by public transit. It doesn't feel quite so alone as you can speak to most people you'll meet. For a week you might be better to look at renting a flat rather than a hotel room (I think I found mine on VRBO, but there are many sites). I don't know if you would enjoy hostels or not, some people do and some don't, but that's another way to save on your budget and to meet people.

If you enjoy this trip then branch out and go further next time! Safety should always be a consideration to some degree (aka "don't be stupid") but being a young woman alone has very rarely been a true limiting factor for me and if I can do it then you can too.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 10:42 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Ireland.