Europe in late July

Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe in late July

I'm planning my holiday for next year, I'm thinking a week in Europe. Question is: which country / city? I want the holiday to coincide with my birthday which is (unfortunately / fortunately) in the last week of July. 'Unfortunately' because I understand it is in the high season (expensive + crowded), 'fortunately' because it's summer and there can be a lot of activities to do / sights to see.

I don't like crowds. I went to Italy last May and didn't like the crowds in downtown Florence (but further up and away at Piazzale Michelangelo it was better because there were less people). The rest of the holiday I spent in smaller towns such as Pisa, Lucca, Pontedera, Peccioli, and Carrara, all of which were better suited for my taste.

I also prefer to explore the city on foot so cities with good public transportation and safety records are preferred. I am not ambitious and are more than happy to stay in one place and really experience the surroundings. I'm not much for shopping / nightlife and prefer relaxing activities, something cultural / to do with nature.

Any ideas? Thanks! =)
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 08:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors RushBijoux . See the "Change Menu" pull down menu? Click that and go over too the Europe board and re-post your questions.

(Have you thought of the UK? )
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't usually travel in the summer, but did so this year because of a family wedding. Lots of crowds, but I had a relaxing uncrowded time and great scenery on a Hurtigruten cruise up the Norwegian coast. The boat is a ferry as much as a small cruise ship, not to be confused with Princess etc.
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, janisj. Will do.

Thanks for the suggestion, thursdaysd but I'm afraid I'm not much of a cruise person =)
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nor am I. You couldn't pay me to get on most cruise ships, but Hurtigruten is different.

https://www.hurtigruten.us/pages/about-hurtigruten/
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

janisj said (Have you thought of the UK? )

Well, I haven't. I don't know why, any recommendations? For some reason I always think UK = London. I live in a metropolis similar to London so I avoid most major cities like a plague when on holiday. It's the same reason why Rome and Milan are the furthest things on my mind when I was planning my trip to Italy. I know it's a gross generalization and I'm open to ideas if you've got any.

Sure, thursdaysd. I'll check Hurtigruten out.