Search

Do you use Flickr?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you use Flickr?

I know I have discussed at great length my recent purchase of a Canon Rebel XTi digital slr camera. I love it. I finally got around to putting some of my photos up from my recent trip to California on Flickr. Just curious if anyone else uses it--- I like all the features and would love to have something like it on a smaller scale here.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM

"Beat the Donkey Show"? Oh, that's got to have a story!

I don't use flickr, but I have my photos up on my own webpage (www.greeendragonartist.com).

I loved the photo with the red flowers, or something in it - would have loved to see it straight down!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:39 PM

Great flower pics, Katie!

I use and love Flickr. It has been the easiest one for me to maneuver. It would be great to have something like it on this site.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

greendragon.... the link didn't work for me..can you repost?

Hey do you like that first pic in the set? It's from Brooklyn. The trees are beautiful right now!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Beat the Donkey is a band led by a celebrated musician, Cyro Baptista who made an appearance on a recent documentary I saw about Herbie Hancock--evidently they play together.

Agreed..it's a very funny name.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM

I like Flickr also Katie. Flickr.com/photos/johnthedorf. I'm using a Canon Powershot SD600 ELPH. Small and easy to travel with.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:17 AM

Oops, sorry! Typed too many eeees

http://www.greendragonartist.com/

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Hey John... just noticed this shot of what I think looks maybe like a sculpture by Jeff Koons.
http://flickr.com/photos/johnthedorf/1591392808/
Do you remember where that shot was taken? He has a small show on the rooftop bar at the met right now.
http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={5F785871-78A9-41C4-AEDA-773CA0F10F03}

Greendragon... I like your shot of the London Natural History Museum. I also read through your description of your digital art. I draw quite a bit and add color digitally to my drawings. Thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Thanks, Katie - hopefully more people will get some value out of those articles. I get a lot of 'oh, it's digital art, the computer made it' when I talk about my art at shows.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:38 PM

I have a domain and a little webspace to store mine. Otherwise, I post one at a time, everynow and then, on TrekEarth.com

Mine's at http://www.trekearth.com/members/CliffW/photos/

Trekearth's really more of a give and take sort of deal though. Started by a guy as a hobby site, but he really knew his database stuff. People post one at a time, and others critique or give tips and workshops. So more improvement intended than for sharing.

Just wanted to say that I liked you're photos and you're tastes run towards my wife's. Squirrels, and lots of 'em.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Nice shots Clifton...love the one of the little boy.

I don't normally take photos of squirrels...but these were incredible. They were stalking people as they got out of their cars (they're obviously very used to being fed.) It was a little scary...reminded me ever so slightly of the movie "The Birds".
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:30 AM

That would be a little freaky! Or Willard, with fuzzy tails.

I think the photo sharing is an interesting new project. Would definitely add value to the website.

One question (maybe more of a comment) - and since you're in the idea phase, it may not be something you could talk to right now - but what are your thoughts on copyright issues related to the user photos? My apologies of that opens a can of worms. I was just thinking about how forum information, for instance, is something we enjoy contributing but we do know that it's being offered up without restriction on it's use. Most of us I don't think believe we have a lot of value invested in spontaneous advice and comments.

Photos however, as vulnerable as they are on the net, are sort of different. Some photo sites explicitly state that the copyright is retained by the photographer while others mention, sometimes deep in their TOS, that uploaded photos are then licensed to the host site for unlimited, even commercial, use. This was one of the things I carefully looked at before I ever uploaded anything anywhere, despite my feeling that most of my shots have little commercial value. Surprisingly, I was wrong about that in a couple of cases as it turned out. Still, quite a number of people I've seen on Fodors are very accomplished - GreenDragon, for instance. It'd be a shame to divert the best photos off the site, but at the same time, a shame to not have them available for everyone to see. Just an early, unsolicited thought for your plans. Hope you don't mind.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Of course not...thanks for your thoughts. We're currently working on user profiles that in their initial phase will only allow users to upload one photo (for their profile shot--could be them or a great travel shot.)

But further down the line... photo albums would be wonderful to have I think. We're not far enough in the TOS for me to say exactly what they'd be but might gut reaction is that they would follow a motto of web world "do no harm". Are intention is never to take "advantage" of our members but to include them---so I'm sure the TOS would allow us to use the photos in ways that are advantageous for the site, the community and the member... so for instance, a photo uploaded to the site might end up featured elsewhere on the site...maybe on the home page, etc.

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Please excuse all of typos and grammar errors...it's Friday!

I meant to say "OUR intention"..
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM

I'd never say anything - I used "you're" twice in my first post.

Thanks for the reply Katie. I'm looking forward to seeing how things work out.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM

I think it would be good to have a photo sharing section on Fodors. There've been a lot of folks asking about sites to post photos and it would make sense to offer it here rather than sending them elsewhere just so they could link it here.

The ability to link to a photo (or group of photos) in a post would be nice also - I'd keep the actual photo out of the thread just so it doesn't start detracting from the information sharing.

Having seen your work with the photo contest, I think you'll be fine on the copyright issue.

For me, I currently post my photos on my website: http://tinyurl.com/2fjoo6.

I also use photobucket as a "placeholder" to post my photos on a small critiquing website I participate in. I've also posted many of my photos on a friend's website: http://www.internetartistguild.com/
(Greendragon - check out the digital art on this site, it's amazing work.)
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM

We use Flickr too. My husband is really into photography and he likes Flickr a lot. I just need a place to store and share photos and it works well for that too.