Comfortable shoes that can go to dinner

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancee and I are taking a trip to Austria and Germany in a couple months. We'll land in Vienna, spend a few days there, then take a slow drive over to Munich, spending a few days there. Generally, I'll be wearing my super comfortable Keens for traipsing around the Alps and towns. Here's the challenge: dinner, think 4 star, not 5 star. In Vienna and Munich, can I get away with gray hiking shoes and pants like canvas-y Columbia pants? I'm trying to limit this trip to carry on luggage and avoiding a second pair of shoes would really help that cause.

Hypothetically, if I needed a second pair of shoes, does anyone have an opinion on the Cole Haan Zerogrand Wingtip Oxfords (or any of the Zerogrand shoes in general)? First, are they comfortable enough to walk around a city all day? And second, are they nice enough for the above mentioned dinners?
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 12:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I really can't help with your exact question, but I would never travel anywhere with only one pair of shoes for an entire trip.

What if something goes wrong (they get wet, make a blister, whatever)? Then you're sunk.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 12:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
So after googling zerogrand wingtip oxfords, you're a man?

If I had a choice between carrying more stuff and eating 3 star instead of 4, I be asking for good casual dining options, rather than shoe recommendations.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 12:34 PM

There are shoe stores in Europe, in case of mishap or dinner invitations.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 12:35 PM

When traveling I wear a pair of comfortable loafers on the plane to/from my destination
And pack my walking shoes (in your case the Keens). I wear the loafers to dinner. They are fine in better restaurants.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 03:53 PM

<you're a man?>

His photo is on his profile page.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 06:06 PM
kja

I'm like suze: "I really can't help with your exact question, but I would never travel anywhere with only one pair of shoes for an entire trip." And I would FAR rather carry a bit of extra weight than try to break in a new pair of shoes while abroad. JMO.
Old Feb 16th, 2017, 09:21 AM

It sounds like the issue is not bringing a second pair of shoes, but what to do when a long day of walking ends in dinner without the option of returning to the hotel to change shoes beforehand.

If I'm right, there really is no solution other than buying better looking walking shoes, and that's always tricky when comfort is the main priority. I don't think anyone can tell you if a pair of shoes will be comfortable enough for a full day of walking *for you*.

Sorry! Good luck! FWIW, I agree that one option is to go to less fancy places for dinner; the other option is to say, to heck with it, I'm a tourist and I look good enough
Old Feb 16th, 2017, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm also wondering what you mean by "canvas-y" pants. You may be OK in Munich, but my feeling is that Vienna is more formal.

I always travel with one pair of black flats, and one evening outfit, but I'm female so they take up less room, and I always check my carry on size bag in any case. Aside from anything else, I don't want to wear the same clothes to dinner that I have been traipsing around in all day. I can wash the day clothes out in the bathroom sink and get them started drying while I go to dinner in clean(er) clothes.
Old Feb 16th, 2017, 12:30 PM

My black New Balance 411 lace-ups (inside label says 4E MW411BK) have served me well as all-day travel shoes and as decent-looking shoes when polished to a shine. Not super-formal, but definitely passable even with black pants and shirt and tie!

The large letter N on the side is not very visible (black on black), and the shoe doesn't look like a "sneaker" or sports shoe, but I can play basketball in it, and walk around all day, cobble stones and hiking trails, no worries.

It took me forever to find this all-purpose shoe, I hope you can find it in your neighborhood. Mine came from a DSW shoe retail store.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 07:57 PM

I travel the world with carry on and my Keen's (Targhee 2 and a pair of sandals). The three of us have never been refused entry at any hotel or restaurant anywhere . That includes a few very high end Michelin starred places. I certainly wouldn't take an extra pair of shoes for the sole purpose of getting into a hotel.

The Colombia pants would be acceptable in all but the most high end places. Since I discovered Rab Copperhead jeans, they now go everywhere with me and are th preferred choice for something a little smarter.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 05:16 AM

check out some of the Ecco "fashion sneakers". I've heard good things about Cole Haan. Also check out their grand tennis pro shoes. I don't own them but they look comfortable and can pass for dressed up in a pinch IMO. Sperry's are another reasonable option.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 09:27 AM

I think Cole Haan is a good brand for comfortable, sturdy, yet stylish men's shoes. I would take one pair like that, plus a pair of sneakers.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 10:09 AM

One person's "comfortable, sturdy, yet stylish" is another's sheer torture. Statements of fact regarding comfort are utterly useless. The best we can do is say what's comfortable on our feet and hope the OP has the good sense to go to a store to try them on, or a website with free shipping & returns, before shelling out the price of a pair of Cole Haans, or any good shoes.
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 10:32 AM

Obviously I have zero opinion about what men's dress shoes are comfortable on my own feet.

The Cole Haan suggestion is from my best dressed most fashionable comfort conscious male friend.