Cheap overnight to Chicago with a Girl Scout Troop

Old Oct 13th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap overnight to Chicago with a Girl Scout Troop

THe youth hostel charges at least $30 per person. I was hoping to get this down. Has anyone ever stayed in a hotel suite or booked a conference room? Brought their own sleeping bags? We'd love a heated pool, included breakfast or microwave/refrigerator. THere are 10 girls and possibly 3 adults. All females. We wanted to be in Chicago the Sat after Thanksgiving for theToy and Game show/event at Navy Pier. Any suggestions. We will take the train in from Geneva. IL
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 06:38 AM

$30 per person is a bit steep in terms of staying at a hostel. I would definitely go the suite route and try to book a suite with several bed rooms and foldout couch beds. If you are strictly looking for the cheapest large hotel rooms, suites etc... useful tips in booking and current deals are posted on this site: www.hotbuynow.com
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Go to www.tripadvisor.com and look for Chicago hotels, in the loop or North Michigan Av, with a pool.Prices are running over $200 a night for your date.

You might also want to post on the United States forum and see if any Chicagoans have some ideas.

Good luck! You and the girls will have a great time in Chicago.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Have you contacted the GS Council in Chicago? Most councils in larger cities deal with this question all the time. Some councils also have properties where troop can stay.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Also look into apartment rental. www.vrbo.com

not sure if the apartments will rent just for one day but it's worth investigating. 3-4 or even 5 bedroom apartments and many are in buildings with indoor pool. You will have a full kitchen.

Good luck!
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM

To the OP: Please be sure to read my comments on your other thread first about having the wrong dates!

The city's fire and occupancy codes also apply to rentals, including condos. I looked at the VRBO offerings and I have to say that I would really question some of these.

In addition, there have been some instances where some condos have been rented out by owners in violation of the condo's by-laws; and the owners have been legally forced to stop doing so. If the by-laws of a condo association say the owners cannot rent these in this manner or use them similar to B&Bs, they cannot do so.