Search

Buy now, or buy when I get there??

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy now, or buy when I get there??

Hello everybody!

I'm going to be travelling from Australia to Poland in mid-september, then staying in Europe until Mid-october.
While there, I want to do plenty of outdoorsy stuff walking, horse-riding, exploring etc.. I know it's gonna be getting chilly, and probably raining...

This mightn't seem like a major dilemma, but it is to me! Should I buy a nice, lightweight waterproof jacket here (I found a nice one today in Snowgum, $250AU), or should I wait till I get to Poland and try and find one there? Might be cheaper... I do like shopping, so I do plan to visit their malls and whatever else, but I don't want to not be able to find one, and end up cold and/or wet for the first week and a half until I find something...

Hmm, I don't know. Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:49 AM

Hi, you may need to post your question again in the Europe forum. You will probably get more answers on that forum. Choose Europe and then scroll down and you will see that you can 'tag' the post for Poland.

Hope you have a fabulous trip! Cathies, also an Aussie.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I'll give that a shot. I figured since it was more about packing/buying before I left and not country specific that I'd try here, but Ill put it in Europe too. Thanks.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:18 PM

I don't know how the zloty is doing against the Australian dollar these days. In general, I find that any quality clothing item is much more expensive in Europe than in the U.S., but the same is true about most quality clothing items in Australia vs. the U.S. If the Australian dollar is strong against the zloty now, then you might do slightly better there; otherwise, it's probably going to cost you more.
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:55 AM

You will likely want it the entire time you are there, which means you won't have the luxury of shopping around to find the perfect jacket at a decent price. I'd buy it now while you can shop at leisure.
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Excellent, thanks for your help everyone.
When my KRudd money comes in, I'll go jacket hunting.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM

Hi ,i will go there too at the end of the year and i will take my jacket from Aussielands ,i may get one at second hand shop ,i saw a very nice one! and cheaper! another way to save is waiting for winter sales here,and finally wear thermal light underwear.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would buy what you need at home. Then you can shop for fun. But I wouldn't want to be stuck at the beginning of a trip without the right clothes, and forced to go shopping hoping to find just the right thing. Seems stressful.