Bangor Maine to Quebec or Nova Scotia

Jul 29th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Bangor Maine to Quebec or Nova Scotia

I will be driving up to Bangor, Maine in August from Connecticut and have a week to drive around to see sites and head back to Connecticut. Was thinking of driving to Quebec or take ferry to Nova Scotia. We have been to acadia before. I am in walking cast so can not really hike. Any suggestions??????
Jul 31st, 2009, 07:57 AM
LJ

We just came back from an east coast trip. We have a place in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Travel on the CAT makes the trip from Bar Harbour (about an hour from Bangor) to NS very easy. You still need a passport, of course!

Beyond Yarmouth (your entry point) the Lighthouse Route up the South Shore of Nova Scotia is a wonderful path of interesting small towns (Port Mouton, Mahone Bat, Chester), sea views (Kejimkujik Park, Hirtle Beach) and historical points that are both (Lunenburg itself is a World UNESCO site and then there is Peggy's Cove).

Tempting even if you are in a cast: Good luck!
Aug 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM

You might be aware of it, but the ferry to Nova Scotia is not cheap. The fee is $115 each way for a car plus $69 for each passenger (including the driver; costs less for children and seniors). There is also a $25 fuel surcharge plus a $10 per person security fee. If you book a round trip you get a discount. There is also a AAA/CAA discount, but don't know if it is stackable with the round trip discount.

Drive from Bangor to Quebec City is pretty. Quebec City has a lot to do and see, although it can involve a fair amount of walking, sometimes over sloping or uneven surfaces in the old city and the Citadelle. There is a free shuttle that goes around the old city that might be a help. There are also several nice drives out of Quebec City, such as the Ile d'Orleans.
Aug 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. We decided to go to moose lake, ME and up to Quebec City. I am saving Nova scotia for when I can get around better
Aug 10th, 2009, 06:21 AM
LJ

Very wise...I broke my ankle in the spring and it really did keep me tethered to be trailing a cast around wherever I went. Come back to the board when you do decide to visit NS and I will give you the benefit of whatever 'insider' info I can!

Search this Thread