$5k and no where to go?! help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I vowed 3 years ago when we got married to always go away in July to celebrate our anniversary. I was hoping to go to Thailand this year but with the looks of airfare (almost $2k per person) costs we would have little money left over to truly spend freely on our vacation. Now we have NO idea where to go!

Here is a little about where we have been and what we are looking for.

We have been to St. Lucia, on a cruise (with stops in Cozumel, Honduras, and Belize), and to Costa Rica last year (we fell in love with this country). My husband has been to Greece several times.

Our budget is $5k and we are hoping to travel for 10 - 12 days. A beach is a must however, we do not need to spend our whole time at a beach. We loved splitting our time in Costa Rica between the mountains and then ending our vacation at the beach.

A pretty place isn't enough. We like to share in the culture of a location interacting with locals whether on tours, eating out, or at a bar. We are adventurous and like to partake in excursions - snorkeling, zip lining, etc.

We can fly out of any of the DC/MD airports.

Where should we go?!!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 01:58 PM

I'm not sure where you live, but airfare to Thailand from Denver to BKK on EvaAir is @ $1300 in supercoach - checked just a couple of days ago. EvaAir is a Taiwanese airline so you'll go thru Taipai, but it's worth it to have the larger seats.

If you loved Costa Rica, you'll also love Nicaragua. It's a little more 'undiscovered.' $5K would give you luxury in Nica.

How about Spain? Low cost for Europe.

How about Peru? There's mountains and beaches.

Happy Travels!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 04:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mexico
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM

One of the most beautiful places I've been was Tahiti and the island of Moorea.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 03:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Some great suggestions but I'd be really surprised if $5000 would cover 12 days, airfare, hotels, transportation, food in those places. Would it?
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM

July in Thailand would be almost too humid to bear. With a July time you need to take into consideration weather/humidity. Maybe find a package that includes air/hotel.Turkey is a little more reasonable.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 01:40 PM

Consider the Algarve in Southern Portugal. One of the last great bargain destinations in Europe.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 01:39 PM

I second the Algarve in S Portugal, meets all your requierments including budget.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM

The Algarve is beautiful and agreed, one of the bargains of Europe. You should be able to find a pkg of air/apt-hotel/car for much less than 5000. We shopped at the markets and cooked breakfast and many dinners.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 06:17 AM

Dalmatian coast of Croatia or Istrian peninsula of Croatia. Inexpensive accomodations (they aren't on the Euro yet), gorgeous country, friendly people (many speak English), fabulous food, turquoise water. My favorite travel destination (been 3 times in the last 4 years)
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 07:15 AM

I would also recommend Spain with Barcelona being your headquarters city. It is a wonderful place with wonderful food and friendly people. You could also travel down to Sitges to the beach and there are beaches on the edges of Barcelona. You could take some great day trips from there.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 07:20 AM

By the way, to help reduce the cost as well as to have a nicer space for your trip, try renting a small apartment in Barcelona through vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owners). We have been very happy with apartments rented through them. As for neighborhoods, try to find a place near Las Ramblas where there is always something to do or if you want quiter, try Eixample near a subway line.